Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

More often than not you have something worthwhile to say in posts you start. This is not one of those. You do not make an argument of any kind. All you have done here is throw out a couple of comments whose connection to drum corps as an "art form" is tenuous at best.

• Like 9

More often than not you have something worthwhile to say in posts you start. This is not one of those. You do not make an argument of any kind. All you have done here is throw out a couple of comments whose connection to drum corps as an "art form" is tenuous at best.

Drum corps borrows from many other art forms... music, dance, painting, theatre, literature, architecture, film, animation.

The activity unabashedly combines these in a rather brilliant way, but it is not necessary innovating... but simply emulating various innovations in each form... and adopting this only many decades later.

It is a pretty obvious and salient argument.

I mean, there are loads of things from other art forms that drum corps has never even attempted or explored, for example...

• Like 2

I don't even know where to begin with what you've just asked. I have to believe you're playing devil's advocate.

What does that even mean?

You mean what drum corps was in 1970's? 80's? 90's? What it will be in 2050?

How is this a static or narrowly defined medium?

482740_548054745216708_1555167036_n.jpg

• Like 6

BTW - it is completely inevitable that a corps will come out there soon without any tubas... a completely fluid concept of percussion (mix of stationary and moving... different points in the show)... and will absolutely kill it.

Right now the rigid format for instrumentation is not really messed with because of the system in place where the manufacturers support top corps with gear and the staff of those corps endorse the manufacturers to create clinics, workshops, write for bands, etc. which perpetuates this sort of inertia in terms of instrumentation.

This fixed concept of instrumentation is a financial barrier, particularly for Open Class corps. As a result, I think there is much greater opportunity for OC corps to truly innovate in terms of the structure of the medium. People are too focused on this sort of competitive inertia in terms of structure and format of shows... once someone breaks through that... we could see some really fascinating stuff. I think OC actually has more opportunity to innovate here and will be the ones to break through this, because they are less plugged into the Matrix, so to speak.

• Like 1

I don't know, Daniel. I think the following Simon & Garfunkel lyrics make as much sense in the context of this debate. :tongue:

And I think it's gonna be all right

Yeah, the worst is over

Now the morning sun is shining

Like a red rubber ball

• Like 4

BTW - it is completely inevitable that a corps will come out there soon without any tubas... a completely fluid concept of percussion (mix of stationary and moving... different points in the show)... and will absolutely kill it.

Right now the rigid format for instrumentation is not really messed with because of the system in place where the manufacturers support top corps with gear and the staff of those corps endorse the manufacturers to create clinics, workshops, write for bands, etc. which perpetuates this sort of inertia in terms of instrumentation.

This fixed concept of instrumentation is a financial barrier, particularly for Open Class corps. As a result, I think there is much greater opportunity for OC corps to truly innovate in terms of the structure of the medium. People are too focused on this sort of competitive inertia in terms of structure and format of shows... once someone breaks through that... we could see some really fascinating stuff. I think OC actually has more opportunity to innovate here and will be the ones to break through this, because they are less plugged into the Matrix, so to speak.

Great example of the theory of Dan Brown's Hammer. Be careful, this is a big tree that you are barking up, kind sir.