Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

wow you must be a pleasure to sit next to at a show.. :tongue:/>

Every person, to me, is unique and I find each and every person has a different story to tell. I ask questions and rarely do I talk about myself, unless asked, then I keep it short but lead into another question about them. I like hearing about their interests, I like hearing their jokes, I like hearing their accents, I like, even for a brief moment, to find out about experiences I will probably never encounter. So if you find that to be a 'pleasure' then let's chat in between corps at a show; if not then I will smile, turn around, and not bother ya.

I actually don't think the comparison is fair because the two arrangements were utilized in two completely different ways in their respective shows. The '88 version was meant to be a complete introductory statement to the program, while the '09 version was part of a much larger and more layered series of thoughts (utilizing other tunes) which formed the introductory statement to the program. They were employed and intended to work in different ways.

It is a fair comparison in the sense of which version is more likely to be accessible to the ear of an uninitiated person who has never heard of DCI. And, I contend, that the complexity, the layering of a series of thoughts, of the '09 version is a part of what comes across as what I refer to as 'Stream of Consciousness Musical Arranging' (akin to the Stream of Consciousness writing style in literature). And that style is not very accessible to many people because many people are just not avid readers of various forms of literature. This also gets back to the sense of purpose. If the DCI corps directors desire to 'educate' the audience with quality, that is fine; but do not expect to sell out a pro football stadium. However, if DCI corps directors desire to 'entertain' the audience with quality, then they have a chance at doubling the ticket sales at their pro stadium events.

look for yours when you go to post and at the bottom it says show all and click on that and more come up peek.gif

withstupid.gif

:tounge2:/>

Ugh, I don't think it was performed better in 2009 at all, NOR was the arrangement "pretty close" to the 1988 show... Yes, the lone "Happy Days are here again" verse was "pretty close". Nothing else was.... Just listened to it. Just sayin'.... Now thinking about it, the 2009 version greatly expanded on the song... Ugh, time to turn that show off.....

Man, they were some questionable sounds coming from the trumpets at times in 2009 that aren't showing up readily in the videos.

Eh, different strokes. I thought it was performed better, and this is coming from someone who competed against them and was gunning for the brass title right along with them. I thought they sounded really great during that section, especially with the visual demands they were put under.

Eh, different strokes. I thought it was performed better, and this is coming from someone who competed against them and was gunning for the brass title right along with them. I thought they sounded really great during that section, especially with the visual demands they were put under.

I know and I LOVED the show you performed!

I heard some raunchy stuff from them several times live though that I didn't feel was reflected in their score, so that's why I'm critical of that show ( partly)