today and tomorrow my rehab is 84 memories

Really??? Not "La Fiesta"?

"Latin was my least fave of the 4 brass charts we played that year. Not that I disliked it at all...I enjoyed playing it...but it didn't stand out to me as much as the other 3.

"Fiesta" was fine, but it had been done many times prior, while "Implosion" was new to the field, with the closing 30 seconds bringing

about an atmospheric chill to an otherwise hot and humid summer.

Edited by Northern Thunder

I marched with the Lancers in 85 & 86, in the hornline. The 84 drumline was 2nd only to the blue Devils that year. Many thought 27th's drumline should have won. Whatever the outcome, they were a great line that year and scored a 19.7 to Devils 19.8

• Like 2

I didn't get too many chances to see the Lancers that year. They always had a good line. Kudos to a them on that well earned spot.

From what I remember, the rain started in the second half of the Freelancers show, and continued as Sky Ryders came on next. I think it stopped before the next corps (SCV).

The Valley Fever uniform from 1983 on was a white top and grey pants. Maroon trim might disappear on low resolution video and leave them looking as you describe. They did wear tan/brown shirts in earlier years.

In 1981 we (Valley Fever) wore khaki tops & pants each member bought from Sears (conveniently located at the mall in Modesto!), the corps provided the hats and sashes.

1982 we wore polyester tan tops with multi-color sash and black pants with yellow stripe; this was our "Taco Bell Cadets" look. Lots of VFs gals had "Summer Love" flings with guys from Sky that year when Sky came out west.

1983 was the look described above, our nickname was "Garfield West." A year I would rather forget as Bobby H gutted the corps' heart and soul after he arrived. His girlfriend "taught" the guard; she spent a lot of time flouncing about in black Dolphin shorts and a leopard bikini top that barely contained her, um, "extraordinarily ample" female protuberances and narrowly avoided facial bruises (Ka-whap! Ka-whap!)

In 1984 we (SCV) got caught under the trees when it began to pour, as a result we were late to the gate. We stunk at Semis but did great at Finals although I disagree with the Brass & M&M captions. From the DVD closeup...I am on the left:

snapshotcrop2sml.jpg

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

In 1981 we (Valley Fever) wore khaki tops & pants each member bought from Sears (conveniently located at the mall in Modesto!), the corps provided the hats and sashes.

1982 we wore polyester tan tops with multi-color sash and black pants with yellow stripe; this was our "Taco Bell Cadets" look. Lots of VFs gals had "Summer Love" flings with guys from Sky that year when Sky came out west.

1983 was the look described above, our nickname was "Garfield West." A year I would rather forget as Bobby H gutted the corps' heart and soul after he arrived. His girlfriend "taught" the guard; she spent a lot of time flouncing about in black Dolphin shorts and a leopard bikini top that barely contained her, um, "extraordinarily ample" female protuberances and narrowly avoided facial bruises (Ka-whap! Ka-whap!)

In 1984 we (SCV) got caught under the trees when it began to pour, as a result we were late to the gate. We stunk at Semis but did great at Finals although I disagree with the Brass & M&M captions. From the DVD closeup...I am on the left:

snapshotcrop2sml.jpg

fantastic memories. As you were huddling under trees, we were trying to save our last show of the year in front of the crowd who was running for cover. It didn't work. We choked and it showed. I really wish DCI had some sort of do over when weather kind of "rains on your parade", but it is what it is. Not sure it matters. Like I said, the only change I would have made that counted for anything would have been inserting Troopers to top 12, and I won't even say who should have come out. It was just too close to really say. Maybe a tie for 12? Lucky for me my surgical rehab is going great and my work days start back on monday, but I plan on watching every show I have from every year yet. Soon. I do have top 25 from 85. Looking forward to that.

Musically, I'd put the top 7 from '84 (Garfield, BD, SCV, Phantom, Madison, Spirit, Suncoast) up against any top 7 from any other year.

Also, don't forget '84 Florida Wave. Won Class A by 9 points (!!!) and was the first corps ever to perform every night of DCI Week.

Monday - Class A prelims

Tuesday - Class A finals

Wednesday - Open class prelims

Thursday - Open class quarters

Friday - Open class semis- 20th place

Saturday - Open class finals in exhibition as Class A champs

:thumbup: