The Summer of Peanut Butter and Jelly

As a former marching member of the Velvet Knights, I thought I would write a blog post about the drum corps food cook. You know, the volunteers who spent their summers feeding us and making sure we had everything we needed when it came to food. They are the heart and soul of DCI, and this is a tribute to them.

The Summer of Peanut Butter and Jelly

Enjoy and feel free to leave any comments here, and on my blog about your drum corps food team and experiences!

• Like 5

Thanks for that. Though my son got into his corps right before they left on tour and I didn't volunteer in the cook truck this year, I have in the past three years, and it is very hard work. Some parents devote their entire springs and summers to the activity. Big kudos to them and especially the volunteers who go on tour. The kids must eat to be successful out on that field!

On a couple New Year's Drum Corps Midwest All-Star tours, I volunteered in the food truck. I had no idea the work was that taxing. The crew is up before everyone else to prepare breakfast and is washing pots and trays long after a meal is over. They truly are the unsung heroes.

Thanks for that. Though my son got into his corps right before they left on tour and I didn't volunteer in the cook truck this year, I have in the past three years, and it is very hard work. Some parents devote their entire springs and summers to the activity. Big kudos to them and especially the volunteers who go on tour. The kids must eat to be successful out on that field!

It's amazing how many parents devoted their entire summer to cook in the food truck. I never realized how significant that was until I did it for a weeks time a few years back. There is so much work involved to make it happen every meal for the corps! Thank you to you for your hard work in volunteering!

On a couple New Year's Drum Corps Midwest All-Star tours, I volunteered in the food truck. I had no idea the work was that taxing. The crew is up before everyone else to prepare breakfast and is washing pots and trays long after a meal is over. They truly are the unsung heroes.

You're exactly right Mr. Boo! I can remember Mom Smith being the first one up, and probably the last to go to bed on any given day on tour. And she did this every camp and summer for who knows how many years. I calculated that an average day for her was somewhere between 12-14 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog as well. It's an honor to have you read my blog post and comment on my thread here. I've always wanted to write something for DCI! This is pretty close!

You're exactly right Mr. Boo! I can remember Mom Smith being the first one up, and probably the last to go to bed on any given day on tour. And she did this every camp and summer for who knows how many years. I calculated that an average day for her was somewhere between 12-14 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog as well. It's an honor to have you read my blog post and comment on my thread here. I've always wanted to write something for DCI! This is pretty close!

Those people have to work as volunteers because they couldn't be paid enough to do what they do.

I agree. I volunteered on Boston food truck at the beginning of the year (at camp) what a work out. Unloading tractor trailer full of food. Cooking for 200 people (4times a day) and than cleaning up, breaking down box etc. They all deserve a lot credit for what they do for the kids and staff.

• Like 1

I agree. I volunteered on Boston food truck at the beginning of the year (at camp) what a work out. Unloading tractor trailer full of food. Cooking for 200 people (4times a day) and than cleaning up, breaking down box etc. They all deserve a lot credit for what they do for the kids and staff.

Not only is it a question of unending production to ready 800 meals per day, but that in ever changing venues and with little or no sleep, these volunteers produce such wonderful, nutritious and varied meals far beyond PB&J.

Add the weather conditions and personalities (carnivores, vegens, vegetarians, chunky-only, smooth-only, strawberry, grape, allergic to nuts, allergic to people) and you see why I think the food crews should all be up for canonization!

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

Not only is it a question of unending production to ready 800 meals per day, but that in ever changing venues and with little or no sleep, these volunteers produce such wonderful, nutritious and varied meals far beyond PB&J.

Add the weather conditions and personalities (carnivores, vegens, vegetarians, chunky-only, smooth-only, strawberry, grape, allergic to nuts, allergic to people) and you see why I think the food crews should all be up for canonization!

"allergic to people" !!! ha, ha...I've met a few on tour.

Usually they are not morning people, at least not until they've had their coffee. Then the fight begins, Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, McDonald's or Caribou brew?

Yup, the food crew members are often saints!

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1