Blue Devils 2013 Studio Recording

I bought the Re-Rite of Spring CD at Indy 2013 and listened tonight (busy bee is me). I hope we are listening to the same recording smile.gif

btw did i mention i like rite of spring jazz and classical? have 2 record albums, Don's and Igor's. BD did it right imo. Thank you!

yeah, my point is: those that bother to listen to the studio recording are those that like the blue devils already.

And I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. And this years sound better than the rest (quality wise). The past few years, some sections/parts were too loud or not loud enough. I think this one and the Godfather are the best recordings blue devils have done.

• Like 1

yeah, my point is: those that bother to listen to the studio recording are those that like the blue devils already.

And I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. And this years sound better than the rest (quality wise). The past few years, some sections/parts were too loud or not loud enough. I think this one and the Godfather are the best recordings blue devils have done.

I'm not into download music with pods in my ears yet. I'm still at the CD stage; bought a turntable 2 years ago to listen to record albums (LPs). My favourite CDs are SCV Through the Years and BD/SCV State of the Art. If Carolina Crown and Bluecoats would sell me Through the Years CDs, I'll buy in a heartbeat!

1377922678[/url]' post='3319411']

I bought the Re-Rite of Spring CD at Indy 2013 and listened tonight (busy bee is me). I hope we are listening to the same recording smile.gif

btw did i mention i like rite of spring jazz and classical? have 2 record albums, Don's and Igor's. BD did it right imo. Thank you!

That cd is the pre season recording. This is free to all BD media box subscribers.

That cd is the pre season recording. This is free to all BD media box subscribers.

Thanks for the info, I’ll take media box under consideration, however, there is the thrill of flying 3,000 miles one way, walking in humidity, hanging around in the warm up lot, scattered seven minute souvenir shopping, a long climb up to our seats to watch every beat, note and spin of a fine final.

All kidding aside, I can’t afford Indy every year so I’m saving my cents for Stanford. To the beach and beyond! I enjoyed listened to my Rite CD including BDB ; ) Thank you.

wow..imagine that.....people loving BDs MUSIC..without visuals..kinda slams all those here who have been preaching that their music if just heard without visual was not good listening for numerous reasons.....where are those people now? :tongue:/>/>

let see the funny rebutals now and how they will try to creatively justify . :music:/>/>

kind of puts a hole in the comments of EVERY BODY, MAJORITY, EVERYONE I TALKED TO...ETC ETC :shutup:/>

Well this year is a very unique situation for the Blue Devils. Unlike previous years, the Blue Devils are playing a music book this year that isvery close to many fans' hearts. It's not just random chopped up sections of jazz that most fans haven't even heard of like in previous years, but is instead a very loyal interpretation of some of the best bits from a renowned and well known piece of classical literature; well at least as loyal as it can be while still being considered a "rewrite" of spring. I'm sure every fan of the rite of spring, probably a large percentage of the dcp population, found something in this show they enjoyed; whether it be the reference to the opening bassoon solo, the head bob worthy jazz spike section, or just the familiarity of the tunes themselves. I'll be honest, I hsve not been a fan of the last several years of BD shows, but I absolutely love the arrangements of this one. They freaking rock! It takes some classic that everyone knows and presents it in an enjoyable way. That is why this music was so likeable. If the BD continue in this direction in the future I just may be able to overlook the poles on the field

Well this year is a very unique situation for the Blue Devils. Unlike previous years, the Blue Devils are playing a music book this year that isvery close to many fans' hearts. It's not just random chopped up sections of jazz that most fans haven't even heard of like in previous years, but is instead a very loyal interpretation of some of the best bits from a renowned and well known piece of classical literature; well at least as loyal as it can be while still being considered a "rewrite" of spring. I'm sure every fan of the rite of spring, probably a large percentage of the dcp population, found something in this show they enjoyed; whether it be the reference to the opening bassoon solo, the head bob worthy jazz spike section, or just the familiarity of the tunes themselves. I'll be honest, I hsve not been a fan of the last several years of BD shows, but I absolutely love the arrangements of this one. They freaking rock! It takes some classic that everyone knows and presents it in an enjoyable way. That is why this music was so likeable. If the BD continue in this direction in the future I just may be able to overlook the poles on the field

Oh I agree....Loved alot of the music......just was reading the posts of some usuals and THEM commenting on the fact that the music isnt good because if you take away everything and turn the music on it has nothing.....guess for many that was proved wrong..my comment was to point out to those who insisted that MAJORITY ( nonsense on all accounts ) HATED IT...TO ME imo THE JAZZY PARTS, and who cared if it wasnt recognizable , was so classic BD and a kick back to that BIG rich sound they were ALWAYS famous for.

• Like 1

Oh I agree....Loved alot of the music......just was reading the posts of some usuals and THEM commenting on the fact that the music isnt good because if you take away everything and turn the music on it has nothing.....guess for many that was proved wrong..my comment was to point out to those who insisted that MAJORITY ( nonsense on all accounts ) HATED IT...TO ME imo THE JAZZY PARTS, and who cared if it wasnt recognizable , was so classic BD and a kick back to that BIG rich sound they were ALWAYS famous for.

No worries, I was agreeing with your statement and explaining why I found it so much more entertaining than previous years. On the other hand, I have to disagree with you about that BIG sound. Was it rich? Yes, some of the best writing and performing this year. But big? I can't agree with that. The recording really helped to make everything sound louder than it actually was because of the ridiculous clarity. For example, in san Antonio those jazz spikes were very underwhelming imo. Still, its just my opinion and even that doesn't apply all the time.When they made the big brass crcrescendo at the end I was shocked at how loud they got. It had me wondering why they never got that loud all the time in the first place. But regardless, this was a fantastically performed musical book full of rich textures and popular tunes that more than makes up for what I saw as the show's shortcomings. Heres hoping BD continues to craft masterpieces such as this

• Like 1

There is a little bit of old school BD in every show they do! if all you want to hear is their 80's hits then crank up your DVD player. I get so sick of lamentations of "oh i miss BD"! Why because they aren't playing the same old tired tunes you only know how to whistle to?

• Like 2