If Something Bad Happens..

Thought that hit me in the Cavies Cell Phone policy thread.

There have been times when bad things have happened to corps and their members. If the crap hits the fan to a major part of the corps due to bus accident/weather incident/etc or individual members how is the info relayed to the families. Individual members is one thing but is there anything in place when large numbers of calls need to be made?

And of course what about the reverse. What is the policy when family needs to get hold of the corps and/or member in case of emergency.

And yes the events at the Washington Naval Yard also have me thinking about this. Work for the Navy 2 1/2 hours north and Dept of Defense has a system set up for contacts or to find people. Like the corps and their members hope we never have to find out how good the policy/system is....

Same as it's always been, I guess: if someone needs to relay a message bad enough they will. My age-out year I was planning a wedding. I got married in December, roughly four months after Finals week. My wife at that time was on staff with another corps, and we were able to find times to call each other, sign legal documents, etc. without much hassle. This was all in the 90's before cell phones were common. Now I imagine it would be even easier, since everyone has one. Even if a corps has a policy where members aren't allowed to have their cells on tour, every staff member & volunteer has one & it would not be difficult to get in touch with someone at the drop of a hat if necessary

• Like 1

JimF-LowBari: Since you are so interested in receiving 'the official' policy and procedure on how emergency situations are handled here is how to find out (link). And if you want, please post what you find out.

Not just asking about the Cavaliers Stu..... In this day and age this is another thing that parents/potential members should think about.

Not just asking about the Cavaliers Stu..... In this day and age this is another thing that parents/potential members should think about.

It has been my experience, no matter the corps, no matter if I was a part of the corps or an outsider, it has been my experience that all inquiries are welcomed and encouraged. So if you actually want to know how emergency situations are handled just contact The Cavaliers or 'the corps of your choice'. Or are you not serious on wanting to know the answer?

• Like 1

It has been my experience, no matter the corps, no matter if I was a part of the corps or an outsider, it has been my experience that all inquiries are welcomed and encouraged. So if you actually want to know how emergency situations are handled just contact The Cavaliers or 'the corps of your choice'. Or are you not serious on wanting to know the answer?

So I ask a general question to see if anyone on DCP knows. Somehow that gets twisted into me not being serious if I don't email corps with questions.

Enjoy twisting others words Stu.... wasted enough time the last 2 days reposneding to you. Appears to be you in a bad mood or trolling.... welcome to my ignore list....

• Like 3

So I ask a general question to see if anyone on DCP knows. Somehow that gets twisted into me not being serious if I don't email corps with questions.

Enjoy twisting others words Stu.... wasted enough time the last 2 days reposneding to you. Appears to be you in a bad mood or trolling.... welcome to my ignore list....

No offense intended; just saying that most drum corps administrative staff appreciate 'serious questions' concerning the safety and welfare of the members and if you actually want the question answered there is a real easy way to get the answer; nothing more.

• Like 1

In this day and age this is another thing that parents/potential members should think about.

‘In this day and age’ seems a bit hysterical because ‘in this day and age’ it is far easier to communicate.

Sometimes the immediacy of communication is a liability as it doesn’t manage the situation.

Perhaps, if I had really bad news for a marching member, I’d call a staffer first…prep them, find out a good time to call and have them help the situation as oppose to a text that would coldly crash their reality without any preparation for a blow about to delivered and a messy aftermath

• Like 4

What do you mean, "in this day and age?" In this day and age the corps director can pull a device out of his pocket and send an email to every corps member, staff member, volunteer, and parent in thirty seconds flat. He can do this from anywhere in the country, including a moving bus. None of this was possible 30 years ago.

Incredible communication skills are required just to run a drum corps tour. The members don't have phones, but these guys are not Mennonites out there.

For a family emergency of a corps member, I believe that most corps have a list of staff cell numbers that is available to the parents, either sent out before the season, or possibly available on the corps website in a family/alumni section.

Then with the fact the tour schedule is usually published online as well, you could also contact a state troopers office in that state, or possibly the local police dept of the town they are in, and I am sure they would be happy to contact the corps/individual in emergency situations.

I also seem to recall reading on the boards in recent years, where a corps has had some issues, either bus problems or a small accident, and the staff has contacted the corps family members to make them aware of the situation. And usually within an hour or two, some details will appear here on DCP.

My personal opinion is all corps members should be allowed to have a cell phone on tour if they so desire. I would see nothing wrong with there being limitations on usage, but personally do not feel a corps should restrict them from having one. I don't see any difference from a member being on their cell phone for 20 minutes after a show, as opposed to waiting in line for an hour to use a pay phone for 5 minutes after a show.