whats the latest in snare technology? and whats the next step in advan

Thanks for the in site into this. I noticed I put SFX meant sfz . Carbon fiber is used in everything these days that requires strength and light weight material. I guess the question is what's the perfect snare sound can it be archived or not. Can somthing be archived if its a personal preference.

Pearl's carbon fiber shells were an interesting step forward, but now looks like with their "carboncore" series one that they're taking a half-step backwards from as well.

Ming drums just created a completely carbon fiber snare - shell, lugs, etc. - that I'm dying to see if it actually works. The videos make them sound fine.

I also wonder what the next 'big' leap forward is going to be. Right now, I honestly have no clue what it could be.

Mike

The Pearl CarbonPly and CarbonCore drums did not employ carbon fiber for the purpose of making them lighter weight. All Pearl Championship snares (FFX, CarbonPly, and CarbonCore) are 6 ply. The FFX and CarbonCore are maple and the CarbonPly is African Mahogany, and the addition of carbon fiber actually makes the drums louder. The carbon fiber doesn't actually replace any shell material, it is added to it.

The Ming drums I've seen for sale are cost prohibitive. $1000 for a snare alone, if memory serves. I'm waiting for someone to come out with light tenors that sounds great, I think NASA could do it.

I really love that the Tama snares can unhook the strainer to change heads. That right there is revolutionary. I'd sure like to see that on ALL snare drums.

I still think the Pearl snares sound the best even though I don't care for their stupid logo. Pearl hardware has improved wonderfully.

I wish Sonor would get with the 21st century and do some real drum corps stuff. They do make snares and basses but require slings. (odd for the most advanced drums as far as sets go).

• 2 weeks later...

There's no current DCI drum with a single synthetic snare bed that sounds like a double wire snare bed Pipe Band snare drum. Not even close.

Don't know why DCI snare lines don't use the double snare bed. Much more crisp and articulate.

Pipe Band snare drums are made by Pearl and Premier. Look exactly like a DCI snare, but take a peak on the inside and you'll see two snare beds with wire snares. That's about the only difference.

There's no current DCI drum with a single synthetic snare bed that sounds like a double wire snare bed Pipe Band snare drum. Not even close.

Don't know why DCI snare lines don't use the double snare bed. Much more crisp and articulate.

Pipe Band snare drums are made by Pearl and Premier. Look exactly like a DCI snare, but take a peak on the inside and you'll see two snare beds with wire snares. That's about the only difference.

Yamaha makes the MTS snare, which a few lines experimented with in the early to mid 2000s. Turns out having the option to make a drum corps snare sound even MORE like a pipe band snare wasn't that appealing after all.