Brass Band Instrumentation vs. DCI Instrumentation

Quite welcome- I was fortunate to really stumble on it in college, and there's been a lot of works written specifically for the medium that have found their way to the Marching Arts. Knowledge is power.

Ahhh...a kindred spirit.

• 1 month later...

As a music fan, I will admit that I have never come across a drum corp performance that I have found to be entertaining. Everything seems to be written for the judges with high consideration given to featuring the strong sections or players. Personally, I think a baritone feature is a real sleeper.

The comparison to the OSUMB is quite intriguing. Of course the objectives of college marching band is to entertain the crowd...nothing more...no such thing as "Playing to the Box"

The changes to OSUMB have always been to solve issues...Trombonium was used to solve issues with spacing, but no matter how many you put on the field, there was never enough sound...so the slide bones came back ... I'm sure that a few slides have been trashed over the years, but the sound is much improved. I'm not sure what provoked the Alto Horn to Mellophone transition ... but it was probably sound....the 'Shoe is big and there's 90,000 fans in there.

Maybe DCI will move to a more entertainment based format .... if they do, I'll be there to get entertained. This cerebral diminished chord progression stuff is just too boring for my $$ to go see.

As a music fan, I will admit that I have never come across a drum corp performance that I have found to be entertaining. Everything seems to be written for the judges with high consideration given to featuring the strong sections or players. Personally, I think a baritone feature is a real sleeper.

The comparison to the OSUMB is quite intriguing. Of course the objectives of college marching band is to entertain the crowd...nothing more...no such thing as "Playing to the Box"

The changes to OSUMB have always been to solve issues...Trombonium was used to solve issues with spacing, but no matter how many you put on the field, there was never enough sound...so the slide bones came back ... I'm sure that a few slides have been trashed over the years, but the sound is much improved. I'm not sure what provoked the Alto Horn to Mellophone transition ... but it was probably sound....the 'Shoe is big and there's 90,000 fans in there.

Maybe DCI will move to a more entertainment based format .... if they do, I'll be there to get entertained. This cerebral diminished chord progression stuff is just too boring for my $$ to go see.

No, it wasn't sound, it was because they had problems getting replacement instruments. I don't have a link for the explanation as I read it when they change many years ago. It wasn't simply "sound", they liked the "sound" of the Alto horn.

"Tromboniums last marched in the varsity OSUMB block at the 1982 Alumni Reunion game, but continue to be used by Alumni members of the band. In 1997, the band converted the alto voice of the band from Eb Alto horns, to F Mellophones. Several factors including instrument quality and durability, as well as tone projection, were cited in the switch. The last Eb Alto horns purchased by the OSUMB were Yamaha YAH-203's. The band switched to Getzen G4410 F Mellophones, and continued to use those until 2000, when Getzen discontinued that instrument. The band switched to King 1120SP F Mellophones, and slowly phased these, along with the King 1121SP, which is the newest version of King Mellophone, through 2006. All Getzen Mellophones are now used by Alumni Band or the OSU Athletic Band. In 1999, Dr. Jon Woods, a trombone player himself, added Bass Trombones to the trombone section. This was done in an effort to round out the trombone choir, and to give a bit of an edge to Sousaphone parts in climactic music. The first model, and to date, only model of Bass Trombone used by the OSUMB is the Conn 110H. In 2008, the band received a generous donation which allowed the entire high brass section (Eb Cornets, Trumpets, and Flugelhorns) to be outfitted with new Yamaha Xeno model instruments. These horns greatly influenced the sound of the band, as previous models of trumpets and flugelhorns were student level models, which typically are not constructed with the same quality as professional model instruments, such as the Xeno line. In 2013, the band has begun a switch from King 2104SP tenor trombones to a special order Conn 8HY model."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ohio_State_University_Marching_Band#Instruments

Edited by jjeffeory

• 2 weeks later...

Funny snippet from Wikipedia...Droste told me that sound was the biggest issue with the Trombonium...

Well there you go. Can't argue with Droste, right.