Tell me some good stories

Astronauts. Presidents. Ministers. Scientists. Generals. Surgeons. Architects. CEOs. Chefs.

To what greater glories have DCI alums over the years gone? Who is representing, and where? Is there a former drum major in a C-suite somewhere? Is there a former rifle about to make a medial breakthrough? Is there a former marimba player tackling homelessness in her city? Who has traded their tuba for a Torah? Their sticks for a stethoscope?

Of course, many DCI alums have gone on to perform, teach music or both at conservatories, high schools, orchestras, studios, universities.

I'm not talking about them. No disrespect, but they are their own thread.

I'm talking about the ones who left their performing days behind when they stepped off the field at their age-out show. The ones who took their life lessons from drum corps into non-performance pursuits. The ones who make us proud to have taken the field with them.

Tell me some good stories.

I think any of us who use the lessons we learned from drum corps to be productive citizens is a great story. While many of us may not be tackling the big things of the day, we are in some way tackling the important issues of our small little corner of the world.

• Like 2

I think any of us who use the lessons we learned from drum corps to be productive citizens is a great story.

Of course, yes. I'm not here to demean the everyday pluggers who get it done. In fact, I'm looking for the stories of the not only the possibly rich and famous, but the small-town docs, the police chiefs, the United Way CEOs who bring a bit of drum corps to work with them every day on Main Street. No need to name names. Just a few "I-know-a-veterinarian-in-my-town-who-donates-a-week-of-her-time-every-year-to-the-county-fair-to-help-all-the-4-H-kids-and-who-used-to-throw-guns-for-the-Freelancers" kind of stories. Sure would beat the heck out of all the "Woe is Drum Corps" threads.

Of course, yes. I'm not here to demean the everyday pluggers who get it done. In fact, I'm looking for the stories of the not only the possibly rich and famous, but the small-town docs, the police chiefs, the United Way CEOs who bring a bit of drum corps to work with them every day on Main Street. No need to name names. Just a few "I-know-a-veterinarian-in-my-town-who-donates-a-week-of-her-time-every-year-to-the-county-fair-to-help-all-the-4-H-kids-and-who-used-to-throw-guns-for-the-Freelancers" kind of stories. Sure would beat the heck out of all the "Woe is Drum Corps" threads.

I know several alumni of my corps who are scientists/doctors in various fields. One of them is working on cutting-edge research on cardiac arrest and inflammation. It's an alumni that marched before my time, so I don't really know them personally very well. Another alum that I marched with is working on research of conservation genetics in endangered amphibians. Another that I marched with got their PhD in Chemistry from Michigan State and does some kind of really impressive-sounding stuff having to do with solar/alternative energy conversion stuff (i.e. stuff I have no clue what she's talking about) that she summed up as "I essentially get to play with lasers all day/every day."

Another alum that marched after I did (that again I don't know personally) is a Deputy Attorney General for New Jersey (IIRC she actually took the bar in both New Jersey and Penn. at the same time which is insane - passed 'em both though)

I agree this is a potentially fascinating topic. We all know about the high-profile drum corps alumni in the music world, but we don't hear a lot about the high-profile alumni in other fields. I'd love to hear more about them.

my experience is that drum corps guys are either (1) bartending, (2) teaching or performing music someplace, or (3) absolutely killing it in the private sector.

Ha; most of the drum corps people are know 'bartend' constantly on their free time while also either (1) teaching or performing music someplace or (2) absolutely killing it in the private sector :tongue: