Drum corps and autism

I don't know of any one corps that advertises itself as being specifically "disability friendly". You may just want to start with some phone calls to a few corps you're interested in and start feeling things out that way.

Agreed; if I were the OP I would start with the corps I really liked/wanted to march, contact the corps offices and see what they have to say, how they answer specific questions, etc. to get a feel for where they're at with the situation.

Hopefully anyone on DCP who has similar experience that the OP is looking for at least sends them a PM to give the OP an idea of what they might be in for.

• Like 1

As the parent of a child on the spectrum and a former coach of a Little League baseball team for students with autism, I can speak to this with experience. It depends on the child - what his/her physical and mental limitations are, and how well he/she would be able to adapt to life with a drum corps. In my personal experience, it might be tough for young man or woman, even on the light (high functioning) end of the spectrum to make it for an entire season with a World Class drum corps but not entirely impossible.

I also worry about the methods used by instructors to teach the kids and he intensity of the season. People on the spectrum process information differently, and while they are usually able to handle most tasks with ease, they can get frustrated with a problem they can't work through, and in many instances won't handle things the same as someone not on the spectrum. Instructors and corps staff would require specialized training to understand how to handle specific situations, including meltdowns, which can happen without warning. Teaching a student on the spectrum requires patience which is a word that rarely goes hand in hand with drum corps.

That being said, I do believe there are kids and adults on the spectrum that would thrive in the activity - probably at the Open Class level where the demands aren't as great. There are several studies that have shown that musical training benefit children with autism - and any activity that allows them to grow in a social situation is always encouraged. I would love to see a program associated with DCI that encourages and promotes the activity for special needs kids and gives them the opportunity to perform and succeed.

Edited by Newseditor44

I personally have Aspergers, and I marched in a World Class corps for the last four years, and am now with a DCA Open Class corps this year. I can tell you that most, if not all corps are able to work with members with a variety of disabilities, especially those on the autism spectrum.

The best thing to do is to practice and do the best that you can. There will be tough moments, certainly. But if you work through them, the experiences you gain will be more than worth it. If you don't make a top-tier corps, don't fret over it (very few people can go straight to a top-tier corps without experience anyways). Start small and work your way up. Trust me, it'll be a great time! :cool:

my dream corps to age out if is Cavaliers, i do plan on marching a lower level corps before i march a top tier, i don't have to march cavaliers in order to be happy, but most of the people with autism end up aging out of lower level world class corps (I.e. Mandarins, Jersey Surf, Academy, Pacific Crest, Pioneer, Cascades) Which I don't have a huge problem with either, but is this usually the case most people with autism or is it possible to march a top 6 corps.

If that's your dream, then don't let anyone stand in your way son! Learn your instrument well, talk with your music teacher and parents and let them know what your goals are, and contact your local drum corps and see if they would mind you coming to a few rehearsals to see what its really like.

But most importantly, don't let anyone stand in your way!

If you need any help at all, or if you'd like me to talk to your parents, please drop me a line and I would be happy to assist in any way possible. Keep up the good work!

my dream corps to age out if is Cavaliers, i do plan on marching a lower level corps before i march a top tier, i don't have to march cavaliers in order to be happy, but most of the people with autism end up aging out of lower level world class corps (I.e. Mandarins, Jersey Surf, Academy, Pacific Crest, Pioneer, Cascades) Which I don't have a huge problem with either, but is this usually the case most people with autism or is it possible to march a top 6 corps.

Edited by Newseditor44

If that's your dream, then don't let anyone stand in your way son! Learn your instrument well, talk with your music teacher and parents and let them know what your goals are, and contact your local drum corps and see if they would mind you coming to a few rehearsals to see what its really like.

But most importantly, don't let anyone stand in your way!

If you need any help at all, or if you'd like me to talk to your parents, please drop me a line and I would be happy to assist in any way possible. Keep up the good work!

Thanks man, really appreciate the support.

I know a number of guys who, while maybe not officially diagnosed, displayed many tendencies of people with high-functioning autism who have marched top 6 corps. I also know that almost all of these guys started out with lower corps that are focused on giving their kids the best experience possible.

I myself didn't age out with a top 10 corps simply because my section had one too many returning vets. Also, I was the oldest of the "rookie" tryouts and the staff recognized that I had a corps I could return to if I didn't make it there. Yes, I wish I could have had a chance to march with that corps, but I don't regret aging out where I did either.

BTW, I noticed that you are with the Centurions this summer. If that's the case, I'll be at the Secaucus show with you guys, and in Rochester too!

Edited by UP Drumline

I know a number of guys who, while maybe not officially diagnosed, displayed many tendencies of people with high-functioning autism who have marched top 6 corps. I also know that almost all of these guys started out with lower corps that are focused on giving their kids the best experience possible.

I myself didn't age out with a top 10 corps simply because my section had one too many returning vets. Also, I was the oldest of the "rookie" tryouts and the staff recognized that I had a corps I could return to if I didn't make it there. Yes, I wish I could have had a chance to march with that corps, but I don't regret aging out where I did either.

BTW, I noticed that you are with the Centurions this summer. If that's the case, I'll be at the Secaucus show with you guys, and in Rochester too!

Epic dude! Maybe we can say hello

I am excited to see this conversation in a public place! In addition to being the Corps Director of the Blue Stars, I am also Professor of Instrumental Music Education at Baylor University in Waco, TX. In my position at Baylor I started/teach a class called "Special Learners in the Music Classroom" and I serve as the Southwestern Chair of the NAfME Children with Exceptionalities Special Research Interest Group. Given that I am passionate and invested in both drum corps and teaching special learners, I am always excited when the two conversations converge.

To address the OP’s question, I am very proud to say that at the Blue Stars we work very hard to appreciate the special needs circumstances of all of our auditionees/members. We have had instances in which an individual informs us of their unique learning condition, at which time I have been able to guide the staff in providing the most appropriate instruction possible. Some of those individuals have made the roster, some have not, but it is my hope that all have enjoyed their time with our organization.

I am optimistic that most (hopefully all!) of the corps in DCI are similarly sensitive to students with special learning conditions. I encourage you to aim for the group that inspires you, practice hard, rock the audition, and see what happens! Good luck!

Russ Gavin

• Like 3