Yamaha and Jupiter Quantum marching baritones

Penn State

None of the above. I would go with Kanstul matched line. Played their horns and they are pretty consistent (build quality) and play well.

Have you (or others) ever compared the Kanstul mellos (10.5" bell) with the Kanstul Altos (8" bell)? [i'm not sure Tama/Kanstul offers the Altos anymore, but used ones are available]. I'd be curious to hear reviews/feedback. Thanks.

What are you trying to accomplish sound wise? Personally, you can't go wrong with mello's because everyone is doing it and writing for them. I mean there are always D trumpets, G bugles or flugels as well.

Edited by Mello Dude

Just trying to guage how much a sound difference the bell makes - that is the only difference between the two horns. Unfortunately, I don't happen to have both handy to compare.

Edit: a big part of me would like us to march trumpets, flugels, altos, mellos, french horns, baris, euphs and tubas. But the realistic part of me is thinking we'll probably make due with trumpets, mellos, baris and tubas.

Edited by Eleran

You think there is that big of a difference in price? I really don't know but I can't believe they aren't competitive?

Actually, as far as retail prices go, just looking at Woodwind and Brasswind online, Kanstul's are usually slightly cheaper than Yamaha, both of which are more expensive than Jupiter Quantum. But I understand the difference to be that Yamaha and Jupiter make deals with the corps, but Kanstul will not do that.

To you and me, Kanstul's aren't more expensive - the corps, they are not an option in comparison to the deals they have with other makers.

Edited by Eleran

There's a substantial difference in price, and has been every time I have looked.

And they don't offer sponsoships like the others do. You pay full price for their horns no matter what. But if you ever consider G horns, Kantsul is well worth the investment. I marched a Kantsul Grande this season and it was by far the most open horn I ever played, I loved it.

Actually, as far as retail prices go, just looking at Woodwind and Brasswind online, Kanstul's are usually slightly cheaper than Yamaha, both of which are more expensive than Jupiter Quantum. But I understand the difference to be that Yamaha and Jupiter make deals with the corps, but Kanstul will not do that.

To you and me, Kanstul's aren't more expensive - the corps, they are not an option in comparison to the deals they have with other makers.

Prices you see listed online are utterly meaningless. They are almost always (Kanstul excepted) much higher than what you will actually pay, particularly if you are buying in bulk, or a full line. I've been involved in the bid process for several bands buying new brass, and the price disparity is really big.