Sacramento Show?

Seems Blue Devils closed that gap in percussion. Wonder if that is the result of the judge. I guess we will have to wait for the next show to find out.

Or the fact that the performers aren't robots and are prone to fluctuations in performance excellence from show to show?

Not harping on you specifically, but people tend to forget that the performers aren't going to turn in exactly the same performance each show. They are human. We never seem to factor that into score fluctuations.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 1

Or the fact that the performers aren't robots and are prone to fluctuations in performance excellence from show to show?

Well it is content and not achievement that BD took from SCV. That is why I wonder if they did some minor rewrites for clarity sake (changing a couple measures can really clear up a larger dirty passage), and I really want to see these two lines go back and forth all summer.

Well it is content and not achievement that BD took from SCV. That is why I wonder if they did some minor rewrites for clarity sake (changing a couple measures can really clear up a larger dirty passage), and I really want to see these two lines go back and forth all summer.

That's fair, though content is liable to fluctuate judge-to-judge in performance captions like that since the judge is on the field, running back and forth between the battery and the front ensemble, and thus will sample different things at different times.

Edit: I'm assuming the percussion judge is still on the field. I get confused between circuits (DCI, BOA, USBands, etc.)

Edited by geluf

That's fair, though content is liable to fluctuate judge-to-judge in performance captions like that since the judge is on the field, running back and forth between the battery and the front ensemble, and thus will sample different things at different times.

Yeah, I think that could be the case, and I forgot to consider that at first. I really wish we could get two percussion judges for that very reason.

I considered SCV's battery above BD's last night in Stanford, but their front ensembles seemed pretty equal with BD's possibly being integrated a bit better (although, that's arguable at best). I really enjoy the back and forth between these two with how different the percussion books are written.

I actually don't know, but does the fact that SCV hasn't put out a finished show lower their content scores?

Yeah, I think that could be the case, and I forgot to consider that at first. I really wish we could get two percussion judges for that very reason.

I considered SCV's battery above BD's last night in Stanford, but their front ensembles seemed pretty equal with BD's possibly being integrated a bit better (although, that's arguable at best). I really enjoy the back and forth between these two with how different the percussion books are written.

A few years back they experimented with a 2nd percussion judge in the stands to evaluate the pit, but it didn't take.

Edited by geluf

I cant wait till stars and knights are together because that's going to be a back and forth fight.

Completely agree!

I was there tonight. My take:

BD - Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Best BD show I've seen in years. Blew me away. I have to guess everyone will play catch up all season. I will say that the guard, in fish net stockings, using tambourines (in certain places) while sitting in chairs (think Chicago) were very risqué. Glad my daughter wasn't paying attention.

SCV - How can you not love this show? Drumline is smoking. Will look awesome by the end of the season. I realized I like props...as backdrops. Very similar to how they did it last year.

BK - Love the uniforms. IMHO loudest corps of the night. Totally bought the concept and loved the performance. I see great things from this corps this year.

Pacific Crest - I really like this corps. Really would like to see them make finals some day. I don't see it happening this year.

Mandarins - Home show for them. Great uniforms. Does George Takei narrate for them?