Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

Well a lot of the answers will come in the next 2 weeks when they go head to head with the corps most people have been slotting them around. Come Thursday we will see where they fall with their first show with Crossmen and Blue Knights. By Denver add in Troopers, Mandarins, Academy, and Pacific Crest. With the exception of Sprit and Colts those are the current 11 thru 19 Corps. They have a lot of time to make improvements once they start the shows and I expect to see their scores increase more incrementally show to show than those who have been performing for a few weeks. By San Antonio I think there are going to be a lot of surprised drum corps fans seeing where they are placing and a lot of buzz to see their show.

• Like 1

I am not sure I see them cracking the top 12 just yet, but I can see them hitting mid-80s by the end of this summer. This is assuming they come out strong and confident on July 3rd.

After watching some of the corps from last weekend, I believe top 15 is in reach. But, Thursday night will tell all. I wish them luck as they get going on the National tour. At least the don't have to make the 4 day trip straight to San Antonio this year. LOL

No matter where they place, I think this show design is much improved over last year. I only say this with over 30 years of drum corps exposure, a few years of teaching. Good Luck OC, I hope you all get a chance to see them live.

Edited by Splooie99

Just wait until you hear the closer :devil:

Seriously the closer! I haven't seen the drill for it yet. But the music is enough - the drill will only add icing to the cake.

The show concept is a little deeper this year. Those with a literary bent will eat it up.

Edited by luv4corps

My favorite aspect of this years corps is the sheer volume coming out of this hornline. Leaps and bounds above last years more reserved volume level.

They are LOUD.

• Like 1

I also feel like last year was a set back for them. The design felt incomplete compared to their previous years and visually, they just werent up to par. Will Ian Flint do a better job than Mike Fanning? We shall see as the summer goes on. I think they will do a fine job with the program they have, but I dont think it will be enough to break the top 12. Not this year at least.

Last year's show didn't turn out to be as popular as 2012s was - BUT captions went up, some significantly, and it was a continued year of growth for them. Compare 2012 to 2013 - hardly a setback. (Tried to find the actual score sheets and had troubles.)

2013 (17th-81.05) was 15th in Music Analysis and Percussion, 16th in Music Effect, 17th in Visual Proficiency, Visual Analysis and Brass, and 18th in Visual Effect and Color Guard.

2012 (19th-77.45) was 17th through 19th in six captions, 21st in Percussion and 22nd in Color Guard.

If they go up 4 more points this year... mid 80s. Last year that was not enough for top 12 but the year before it was. Crossmen had 12th going into finals with 84.90.

Edited by luv4corps

Good for Oregon, but I'm happier about the 150 members than any score they'll get this year. We *need* stable, healthy organizations.

Mike

16 tubas baby

• Like 1

Yep, 15th would be great. 14th even better, but cracking the top 12 requires a few things. Time, time is one thing this corps does not have. Other corps have been competing for 2+ weeks, that is a huge advantage. Experience is also an asset. I think the corps is a little on the young side for experience. How many members are new this year. They did not really know what the tour season is going to like and the physical requirements of touring.

Positive I see: Design, this is improved over last year and I think will keep fans involved in the show the whole way through. You know sometimes, certain shows seem to be over as fast as they started, or last forever.. This one goes by quickly. Another positive I see is challenge. The members will be challenged talent wise enough that if they master the design, they will place well.

Question marks. Mainly because I was not able to focus on them is the colorguard. If they are clean by finals week, that will make a huge difference in the corps placement. It is always more then one caption. Also important is not watering down the demand until you are 100% sure it will not be acheived. If they water down the show, it will hurt them in their score.

Overall, I place this years corps as the best OC corps in the last 10 years. Much improved over last year. Time will tell. Good Luck OC tomorrow in McMinnville. I hear the reserved seats are almost all sold out.

Edited by Splooie99
  • Like 1