Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

In San Antonio last year they scored a 71.35, they're in really good shape to easily be way above that by then! Don't think we have anything to worry about here. Like it's been stated, these 5 person panels can really be wacky, scores all over the place, we'll have a very good idea where they stand after Drums Along the Rockies on Saturday with a full panel and a bunch of corps in their competitive range.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Not that I want to burst anyones bubble, but, making a 5 point jump to catch the top 12 is most likely not going to happen. However, this is and will be the best Oregon Crusader Corps to date. They will be between 2-4 points ahead of last years score in San Antonio. Adding Pacific Crest will give us a better idea of where OC is stacked currently. I beleive OC and Colts will be battleing for 15th the rest of the summer. OC will most likely have more to clean to improve their score due to starting late.

As a side note, if you compare the corps that started the first week of the season with where OC started (about a 17 day delay) They started scoring in the top 12. Not that it matters in the real world, but I find it interesting that Cavaliers opened in the 60s as well as other corps in the 6-12 range. If OC would have started at the same time, it would be interesting to see where they would be now.

I do beleive that OC could compete for 12th if they had started 2 weeks earlier. But, thats not reality. I think they are doing well and will continually get better. I am projecting them to be around 83-85 come semi-finals, but that will not be enough to crack the top 12. Regardless, as I said before, this is the best OC yet.

I cannot wait until San Antonio when we get to see everyone all at one time with the same panel. Go OC and the rest of the corps.

• Like 1

In San Antonio last year they scored a 71.35, they're in really good shape to easily be way above that by then!

Thank you for pointing this out. You are right. OC fans - B-R-E-A-T-H-E

• Like 1

As a side note, if you compare the corps that started the first week of the season with where OC started (about a 17 day delay) They started scoring in the top 12. Not that it matters in the real world, but I find it interesting that Cavaliers opened in the 60s as well as other corps in the 6-12 range. If OC would have started at the same time, it would be interesting to see where they would be now.

I do beleive that OC could compete for 12th if they had started 2 weeks earlier. But, thats not reality. I

Another excellent point. As mentioned here, every week of rehearsal is crucial!

Edited by luv4corps

Standing O tonight for OC. My bubble remains unburst. ;) lol

Just waiting on scores. Pulling for 70.

Standing O tonight for OC. My bubble remains unburst. ;) lol

Just waiting on scores. Pulling for 70.

Your hope was fulfilled! 70.60!

OC has been known to have score jumps... I would love to see some soon.

According to the score recap, the brass and visual scores are hurting them. We know they sound amazing! we just gotta get the feet sound out of it. They got the volume, lets get the tone quality now!

• Like 1

Interesting side note. Last summer, OC broke 70 with a 71.35 (or so) on July 20th in San Antonio. That was with 10 or so days of all days in between tours. OC is on tour straight through this time and broke 70 10 days earlier. That is great. Now, lets consider we improved 5 points in 6 days, lets call it 1 week.

The pace at which score improve slows down as we get into the last weeks of tour. This is because those tenths become hard and hard to get. Assuming that they still improve 4 points by San Antonio (which I think is possible) They will slowly get closer to the corps ahead of them as most of them have been touring for 2-3 weeks longer. All OC needs to do now, is gain 1 point a week on those above them and they get into the battle for 12-15. I still think 15th is in their grasp.

OC gained 4.6 in 6 days

SOA gained 3 pts

Xmen 5.8

troop 3 pts

Blue Stars 3 pts

Madison .3 pts

Phantom 1.65

As a cross sample of the corps over the last 6 days. I am not saying I think OC will make the top 12 still, but I am saying they will be pushing closer to the top 15 come finals time. We will learn a little this weekend, but we will learn a lot in San Antonio. I see a real dog fight between 17-13 currently, I think OC will slowly pull ahead of PC and the other corps behind them. I am not putting a lot of stock in the scores because they small judges panels, but I do beleive that the improvements OC is making are showing. The more these kids get comfortable with the closer and clean the visual show, they will move up. Good luck OC

One other comment, No matter where OC places this year, I beleive this is the best corps they have ever had. I hope this momentum carries through the next few years. Props to the management for continually improving and propelling this fairly new WC corps into the mix.

• Like 1

I just watched their Ogden run and the opener and ballad are starting to look quite spiffy. There is great talent in that 80-strong hornline so a glorious, focused sound is achievable. GO OC!

Edited by luv4corps

Your hope was fulfilled! 70.60!

OC has been known to have score jumps... I would love to see some soon.

According to the score recap, the brass and visual scores are hurting them. We know they sound amazing! we just gotta get the feet sound out of it. They got the volume, lets get the tone quality now!

Yup, I was really stoked by this news last night! The drop in the brass score was a little disappointing, but as was mentioned by luv4corps, there is great talent in that hornline so those scores will come back up.

I'm still a DCI noob having never even heard of Drum Corps until a couple of years ago, but I'm having lots of fun watching my son go on this great journey, and learning how this fascinating process works! Next year we'll have a 3rd year trumpet vet and maybe a rookie euphonium in the family. My daughter was very close to joining OC this year, but just didn't feel quite ready. She thinks next year she'll be all in.

• Like 1

I truly believe if they can clean the spaghetti feet, everything else will fall into place. The feet hurts not only their visual score, but you can hear their feet in the sound.

So proud to have been part of this group 10 years ago, and as the current and first Alumni President, I am truly excited to see what they can do in the future.