Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

My first viewing of you guys tonight...I just want to say that I'm impressed with whoever does the choreography for the corps...This is one of those shows that I am really enjoying this year that is so much underrated...I am definitely excited to see you in Allentown...

Not so much underrated. I think it's more under-known! Spread the word! OC does nice things with creative movement!

Edited by luv4corps

You know......only 1.3 behind Colts. 1.75 behind Spirit. Let's see what happens....... :music: I'm very excited about this next week and the fact that they have 3 rehearsal days.

Academy is right there too. Everybody wants it! OC has lots of room to grow if they can execute.

Edited by luv4corps

The fight to stay in 16th and more up to 14th is on. LOL OC with the right amount of practice time will continue to close the gap ahead of them. Back a few weeks ago, I predicted them in 15th by finals time, I still think that is well within reach. What about 14th???? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. The corps has jumped almost 10 points between SA and semi-finals each of the last 2 years. (give or take a point) That puts them around 84-85 at semi finals. Is it good enough to move up? Time will tell. For now, its clean clean clean. Its mostly on the guard to raise the GE scores and get the visual inconsistencies cleaned up.

After looking at the recaps a little more closely, if we can move up 2 spots in guard, that will raise the GE scores and move the corps up higher. Getting the guard cleaner will improve all captions visually and GE. Brass line needs to pick up their game a little too. I know they are capable of more.

Just for kicks and giggles, I watched all the corps' San Antonio performances, right up through BD and Cadets, then went back and watched OC. And I was most pleasantly surprised. WOW! OC fans, if you haven't done this, do it! The new capes, the big brassline (minus a few...), the towering feather flags, the 200 bpm drill in the closer - :wow:. When I think of how far this corps has come during the time I've been associated with it, it is nothing short of amazing.

Five years ago I was introduced into the drum corps life when my son marched his rookie year in a then much smaller Oregon Crusaders. The show was called "Dance of the Flames" and placed 2nd in open class - much to the delight of the organization. My son was hooked and so was I.

This year he ages out but... the OC flames will keep dancing!

Go OC!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

The Crusaders have a really ambitious show, this year. The show design is very mysterious and draws you in. They are doing a great job, but have quite a ways to go, in terms of cleaning and performing it. If they can have a few good days of rehearsals, I think they can jump up in the pack. They have a couple corps chasing their tails, but I don’t think anyone, close to them, has as much room to improve. I’m really looking forward to seeing them again in Indy. If they get to where they are really performing this show, I think they won’t have to worry about anyone behind them. This is one of my favorite shows, this year. I would love to see them in the top 12.

2012:

DCI Southwestern, Open Class - 83.4

DCI Open Class Finals - 93.25

Improvement - 9.85

2013:

DCI Southwestern - 71.45

DCI World Class Semifinals - 81.05

Improvement - 9.6

2014:

DCI Southwestern - 74.8

DCI World Class Semifinals - 84 + ?

It's pretty obvious they're a late season surger, excited to see how many more points they can squeeze out of this show!

:music:

Edited by DrumManTx

I call this the 3 week effect. Because most of the other corps are eith in all days or competing by June 18th (I think that was the first show). OC starts their all days around June 7th. Most other corps in WC are in all days in mid May. Thus 3 weeks difference. This explains why OC make a late season run more then the typical corps. As it becomes harder and harder to find cleaning opportunities, OC has some low hanging fruit the others dont. This is why their scores continue to go up and not taper off to flat. At least that is what I think. We will see how far they can ride this show. I know they will break their record this summer, it is a matter of how much.

I'm hoping that OC will have a great week of practice to clean. Their brass caption head is back with the corps now so that should help on the brass side of the program (although brass has typically been the strong section of the corps). Hopefully the guard will be able to bring more consistency to the show by Atlanta. At the beginning of the season I liked the caplet but now I'm have some second thoughts. It might be adding to visual issues as it flares out and reduces spacing between members. I much prefer OC's, and even Academy's shows to those of Colts and Spirit and would like to continue to see scores get closer...but is there enough time left in the season to accomplish this.