Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

you can hear their feet in the sound.

I kind of understand what you mean... sort of... lol

hearing the feet in the sound typically means you can hear distortions in their tone quality for each step, or some of their steps. Most commonly found in high speed moves. Also, if the move is complicated the player can lose focus on staying in tune or having the proper timing in their playing.

From what I hear our Oregon Crusaders put on a hell of a show in Denver tonight. Way to go OC!!

• Like 1

To further explain the sound in your feet question. When the heel impacts the ground, the impact radiates from the foot to the head, this random jolt( for lack of a better word) moves the mouth piece of the brass player thus causing a momentary distortion in the sound. Sometimes, it sounds like not enough air support, but not enough to take it out of tune. It is easily noticed by most brass players, but to some people, who are not trained, it all blends together. When I was teaching, this is sometimes reduced by lifting the toes as high as possible to reduce the impact. Adding in a straighter leg, also helps reduce this by spreading the impact across the foot in more of a rocking chair. (Imagine the foot rolling like a rocking chair foot) Anyway, if you make these little changes, the foot sound in the horn gets less and less until they master the technique. With the number of new members in the horn line, this is a tall task. It will get better as the corps gets members coming back more. But, this is a younger corps and it takes time and a truck load of basics to remove the sound from the feet. Mainly, it is about body control and a strong core. The only way to remove it is working on basics every day and incorporating playing while moving. It also needs to be practiced at home during the off season. I think body conditioning helps as well.

Edited by Splooie99

Another step forward for OC in Nebraska tonight - 72.150!

Edited by pacman1

San Antonio will shed some light on where they corps stand in placement. I have said all along that I believe OC will end up in 15th or so. It is not out of the question for OC to catch Spirit or even Colts by Indy.

It is easily noticed by most brass players, but to some people, who are not trained, it all blends together.

Funny you should say that... what I have noticed is a general unfocused tone in the brass.. loud and powerful and amazing yes, but...unfocused. It's more than blend, more than balance. I was trying to get at what that was about. Is it the same thing as hearing the feet in the sound? Dunno, perhaps so. Though I've never marched, I am a degreed music educator so I'm not total chopped liver here...

Edited by luv4corps