Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

Congrats OC and well earned. A few sunny days and look what you can accomplish! You have the momentum now heading into Indy.

• Like 1

Right now, 15th place. That is such an amazing accomplishment for this corps. Just wonderful.

In 2007, wasn't that when most of the staff left OC? Didn't the BOD all but change? Someone else mentioned there were only 10 returning members? That, with all due respect, is basically a new corps. It was a rebirth so to speak.

As an alumni from the early rebirth years 2003-2005, it is depressing when people dismiss what we accomplished before the 2007 "rebirth". If we never started our climb in the early 2000's, the current corps would not exist. Period. And the same goes from my years. We would most likely not be the "Oregon Crusaders" without the corps from the 70's, the Dickinsons Oregon Crusaders. It's fine to recognize the hard work from the 10 vets, and few staff/BOD that stuck around and kept it from disappearing, but to say "We started from the ground up in the 2007 rebirth" is hogwash. I appreciate all the hard work that was done to keep it alive, but there was not a hiatus year, or a "folding".

On another note, it brings a tear to my eyes watching what these kids are achieving. This show Nevermore is my new favorite. 2012's Dreaming in Color is #2.

• Like 1

Yes, it is true that OC was reactivated in 2000 and had a good run leading up to 2006. If it wasn't for the determination of a few remaining board members with no uniforms no staff and a handful of kids who wanted OC to survive, it never would have. What happened that year was astounding and to me, was a feat most groups could never survived.

I am not trying to dismiss the early years, but making a point that OC is only here today because of what happened in 2007. They just as easily could have let a dead horse die, but no, they gave it life again. How many groups could have survived that?

It reminds me of the Columbians. A new corps but a name of drum corps past. Started from the ground up.

Edited by Splooie99

Yes, it is true that OC was reactivated in 2000 and had a good run leading up to 2006. If it wasn't for the determination of a few remaining board members with no uniforms no staff and a handful of kids who wanted OC to survive, it never would have. What happened that year was astounding and to me, was a feat most groups could never survived.

I am not trying to dismiss the early years, but making a point that OC is only here today because of what happened in 2007. They just as easily could have let a dead horse die, but no, they gave it life again. How many groups could have survived that?

It reminds me of the Columbians. A new corps but a name of drum corps past. Started from the ground up.

We wore those uniforms starting in 2004...

Also, the year 2000 is more akin to the columbians then 2007.

Semantics though. Let's just praise this wonderful corps!

Tomorrow (quarter finals) will be the most important show of the season for OC. As like Atlanta they will have to deal with a very bad show time right before the massive 56 minute intermission before the Theater portion begins. OC will need to be better than great...they will need to be spectacular to stay in the judges mind when the show restarts after the break. I know that OC has it in them to do what it takes to keep moving their score forward. Will OC stay ahead of Spirit tomorrow?...hope so but it could be a challenge with their draw time. The last show finally saw a score that was indicative of this years show which should be scoring 2-4 points above last years show. Let's keep our fingers crossed that OC has passed through all the erratic scoring during the middle of the season and quarters and semis put a big exclamation point on the 2014 season.

but to say "We started from the ground up in the 2007 rebirth" is hogwash. I appreciate all the hard work that was done to keep it alive, but there was not a hiatus year, or a "folding".

If championships hadn't been in Pasadena that year, the corps would have almost certainly folded. I don't think you know how dire it was.

That corps started that year with:

No staff (taken by another corps)

No instruments

No equipment truck

No food truck

No rehearsal site (taken by another corps)

No home show fundraiser (taken by another corps)

Almost no members (many went to... that other corps)