DCA in TN

So I've been thinking about marching again next season after a semi-lengthy hiatus from doing so and I've been looking primarily at Corpsvets and Alliance given their proximity to me (I live in Nashville). If there was a corps in Alabama (where I'm from) I'd also give them a hard look; you know, supporting the home team and what not. Anyway, I remember Tennessee and more specifically Nashville used to have an all-age corps, Music City Legend. What happened to them? Was Nashville and/or TN just not a state that was a good fit for DCA?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, drum corps has not been too kind to Tennessee over the years. Legend had a good run for several years but in the end, just wasn't able to sustain itself.

My suggestion to you would be to contact the corps you mentioned, as well as perhaps Cincinnati Tradition (not sure how far they would be) and just start putting together your thoughts based on the info you obtain. All the contact information is available through the DCA page.

If you have any specific questions in regard to Atlanta CV (formerly Atlanta CorpsVets) you can message me and I will do my best to answer any questions you might have or put you in touch with others who can.

Good luck on your search! Drum corps in the South is growing and I know you would enjoy being a part of it no matter what uniform you choose to wear!

Dan

• Like 5

Unfortunately, drum corps has not been too kind to Tennessee over the years. Legend had a good run for several years but in the end, just wasn't able to sustain itself.

I might reverse your statement, tho you may have a closer feel for the environment there than I,...............I might say:

"Tennessee has not been too kind to drum corps over the years" IMO

That might well be true Gary.

Either way, DCA in the south comes with it's own set of challenges. These have been well documented in other threads. For whatever reason, organizations that have thrived have had to show patience, diligence and a long term commitment to their goals, both on and off the field. There are options of course when looking for performance opportunities down here. Atlanta CV, Alliance, Sun Devils, Carolina Gold, Cincinnati Tradition are all viable options but are spread geographically (with the exception of CV and Alliance). But...if the desire is there, driving a few hundred miles isn't beyond the scope of many.

Dan

I thought the main problem with Nashville was having 2 corps with close names Music City Legend ,and Music City one DCA the other DCI .Both looking for memmbers ,Since DCA became all age ,the age groups don't differ much .

I thought the main problem with Nashville was having 2 corps with close names Music City Legend ,and Music City one DCA the other DCI .Both looking for memmbers ,Since DCA became all age ,the age groups don't differ much .

I think that was more in the imagination of a lot of people than it was in reality.

IMHO Legends biggest issue was growing pains. It tried to be a open class corps too soon and needed to grow into a open class corps. Winning a Class A championship should have been a priority instead of jumping into Open class its second year out in DCA. They had 65ish numbers in both 06 and 07.

Maybe it's time to try the DCA venture again in Nashville?

Maybe it's time to try the DCA venture again in Nashville?

With entirely new Managment and a fresh mission statement I see no reason it would not work.

With entirely new Managment and a fresh mission statement I see no reason it would not work.

Hmmm…