I want to start getting ready for DCA

Hi guys! I live about an hour and thirty minutes away from Atlanta, and I play Baritone. I want to audition for Atlanta CV, is there anything specific that I should be doing to get ready?

I'm not with Atlanta Cv but I would get in touch with Alan Armstrong and seek his advice.

Best I can do for you is start gettin in peak physical condition and start learning to play in time really well.

Greetings Adajiyo!

Glad you are interested in sharing the Star with us. The first thing you would need to do is to go to our website www.atlantacv.org and contact Scott Keefer who is our recruiting coordinator. He will put you on a contact list and start you down the path.

Our season begins in December with our membership weekend. From now until then I would suggest getting yourself in the best possible shape you can. especially focusing on cardio. The physical demands of our show have gone up significantly this year and I am sure it will do the same next year as well. From a playing standpoint work on basic technique exercises that will expand your range and stamina. Lip slurs, articulation exercises, etc. will be good.

If I can answer any more questions for you feel free to message me and I will point you in the right direction. Looking forward to meeting you in December! Oh, and if you can be sure to come to one of our performances in the Atlanta area over the next several weeks and introduce yourself to Scott Keefer or myself. We will get you started.

Dan

Hey Dan....just a thought....EVERY corps needs support...whether it is helping on the corps truck, running errands, helping with food, and so on...

Maybe he can come down and work around the corps in any way you might need him to until he is ready for membership day.

This way, he can see the daily operation of the corps first hand, AND you are not loosing someone who is showing interest NOW!

• Like 4

Hey Dan....just a thought....EVERY corps needs support...whether it is helping on the corps truck, running errands, helping with food, and so on...

Maybe he can come down and work around the corps in any way you might need him to until he is ready for membership day.

This way, he can see the daily operation of the corps first hand, AND you are not loosing someone who is showing interest NOW!

Rode and helped with the eqipment truck for 5 years when I was marching. Great way to meet the members and get the feeling of what is going on...

• Like 1

Great point Frank!

Yes, like everyone else, we are always in need of volunteers to help with the day to day. We would love to have him come and be around the corps and get a feel for what we are all about. The next several weeks would be ideal too since we have so many performance/rehearsal dates coming up locally.

Come on down!!!!

Dan

• Like 1

Cool thanks for the advice guys! It's greatly appreciated!

Dan mentioned flexibility exercises. I highly recommend "Matty Shiner's Lip Builder" as a book you should have as a low brass player. It helped me a ton BITD, and I still use many of it's exercises when I warm up. It took me to another level by developing my fluidity as a Euphonium player. I think of this book as a must have if you're a serious Euphonium player or want to be one.

http://www.progressivemusiccompany.com/books.html

Matty was a very well regarded Trombone professor and mentor up here in Pennsylvania. :satisfied:

Dan mentioned flexibility exercises. I highly recommend "Matty Shiner's Lip Builder" as a book you should have as a low brass player. It helped me a ton BITD, and I still use many of it's exercises when I warm up. It took me to another level by developing my fluidity as a Euphonium player. I think of this book as a must have if you're a serious Euphonium player or want to be one.

http://www.progressivemusiccompany.com/books.html

Matty was a very well regarded Trombone professor and mentor up here in Pennsylvania. :satisfied:

Thanks a bunch I'll look into it!