Does this year's Colts show have the most voiceovers...ever?

Depends on what the props sound like, I guess. (snark)

It's not all about brass and drums. It's about music - wind and song. Idiophones - OK; microphones - no.

So you're saying the blue stars can't "tell their story" without all the props they use year after year?

So you're saying the blue stars can't "tell their story" without all the props they use year after year?

That is actually the show I was thinking of. I do love the Blue Stars. One of my son's high school bandmates marched with them the past few years. However, I do not care for their current show. I've said it before here and maybe I just don't understand the entire concept, but I have seen, on more than one occasion, someone march right through a "wall". There is also furniture sitting on top of the "walls". Even without understanding these concepts, I just think the field is too cluttered. Do I respect their right to do such a thing within the rules...of course. Do I have to enjoy it...of course not. Do I feel the need to condemn them and claim this has no place in drum corps...absolutely not! Edited by BaritoneDad
  • Like 1

That is actually the show I was thinking of. I do love the Blue Stars. One of my son's high school bandmates marched with them the past few years. However, I do not care for their current show. I've said it before here and maybe I just don't understand the entire concept, but I have seen, on more than one occasion, someone march right through a "wall". There is also furniture sitting on top of the "walls". Even without understanding these concepts, I just think the field is too cluttered. Do I respect their right to do such a thing within the rules...of course. Do I have to enjoy it...of course not. Do I feel the need to condemn them and claim this has no place in drum corps...absolutely not!

I totally agree!! I also know someone that marched them. My son even auditioned for them a couple of years ago! I really enjoyed their Houdini show very much. If I don't care for a show personally I certainly won't put it out here. All the performing members work way too hard to have to read stuff about their very hard work. I'm not saying you don't have to like every show, just be mindful of what you write. I know my kids are reading these posts, as many others.

• Like 2

All the performing members work way too hard to have to read stuff about their very hard work. I'm not saying you don't have to like every show, just be mindful of what you write. I know my kids are reading these posts, as many others.

Exactly!

i saw them last night in Bentonville, and I was kind of dreading them because I've heard so many people complain about the narration.......but I actually really liked it. It didn't bother me at all. He did talk almost constantly, but it was very well done, and he made it interesting. That's just my opinion though.

• Like 1

I'm talking about music, and people reply to me about props. I don't understand.

I want to listen to music, not yap-yap-yap from a narrator. Am I wrong to have this preference?

• Like 2

I'm talking about music, and people reply to me about props. I don't understand.

I want to listen to music, not yap-yap-yap from a narrator. Am I wrong to have this preference?

So you don't care for Cadets show either, nor Crown with all the singing?

You did use the phrase "props with sound". Sorry if I took it differently.

If it's all about brass and drums, then why not get rid of all props too? That'll keep the younger generations interested!

Depends on what the props sound like, I guess. (snark)

It's not all about brass and drums. It's about music - wind and song. Idiophones - OK; microphones - no.

You did use the phrase "props with sound". Sorry if I took it differently.

LOL. It's like playing "Telephone."

Just got back from Denver, checked out the show from La Crosse. It's a love or hate show, that's for sure, it's one of those. I happen to be on the absolute LOVE side, I think it's kinda refreshing and a different approach at narration, and it doesn't bother me at all. I can definitely see why these guys are starting to surge, it might have taken awhile for them to figure out some stuff and get rid of some major early season dirt, but it's starting to REALLY come together. Sans narration, it still has wonderful music, and super effective and challenging drill by Mr. Sylvester if I'm not mistaken? With the staff they've brought on in the last few years, they're either going to keep surging and make finals this year, or, I would bet serious money on it, definitely make finals next year. They've already made all sorts of changes to make it more clear, and I'm really starting to dig it. Keep it up guys, I'm a big fan of it. My favorite, along with the Oregon Crusaders, of my picks for the 12th - 17th spots.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1