Why PBS Dropped DCI Broadcast - Other Thought

WITF carried it live be it 2 hours or 4 hours anytime it was offered

OK, just can't remember the years it was a 2 hour live telecast. Older I'm getting the years are blurring together anyway...

I haven't heard it said first hand that the percentage of pledges honored declined in general over the period.

Well, it WAS mentioned on this thread. And it is " first hand",( as I said above)..as I was in one of the PBS studios when it was conveyed to me directly by a PBS station Exec that was there during my volunteer years working the PBS pledge phones for the DCI telecast. Not only did the PBS begin to receive a higher frequency of reneged pledges, but the volume of pledges itself began to wan even prior to that. Thats what the PBS Rep in the studio told me directly.. so there you are.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

This has been a thorn in my side for ages. I can't think of another musical activity... or even a musical group... that advertises itself without actually playing their own music in the advertisements.

I assume it's the well known licensing issues problem. To which I still suggest DCI take one spring and commission original "stock" recordings for their use, that they own, and can actually present to customers as "this is what drum corps sounds like." 'Cause right now, they're not really getting that out there to people who don't know.

Mike

TOTALLY agree. While I get DCI might be looking for pop music to get the kids excited, it seems a bit disingenuous to not include drum corps music (or at least the source music) when advertising drum corps.

As for stock recordings, obviously there are plenty of DCI arrangers who have done something similar (like Ian Grom who composed music that is licensed & used by ESPN and Fox Sports) it seems goofy DCI doesn't go that route.

I start from the premise that DCI on TV is better than not on TV. I'm not sure PBS is the best vehicle for that... as a matter of fact, I'm about 95% sure its not.

i suppose it comes down to whether a network and DCI can work out a deal that both can live with. The absence of a TV network now tells me that DCI is convinced its not doable for them at the present time at a negotiated deal they can live with.

From the die-hard fan perspective, of course it is. I'd MUCH rather have DCI Finals on my TV, where I have zero added expenses or hassles of seeing up a computer or iPad to stream on my TV. The true HD look & sound would be superior to the FN feed, and it would genuinely be exciting: appointment television (that we could DVR and watch whenever we wanted to after the fact, again paying zero dollars to DCI for that added bonus)

From a DCI/business perspective, it's kind of dumb: at the very least, likely not viable. The expense of producing a broadcast, paying to "rent" network time, and potentially having to find add sponsors is likely cost prohibitive. DCI can put Finals on Fan Network and collect subscription revenue with nominal broadcasting/streaming costs; for TV DCI pays a huge cost for the program with zero revenue.

The format of broadcasting DCI Finals can be one of several options, but most of them are not exactly broad appeal (edited Finals in a two hour w/commercials format seemed to be the most viable for ESPN; unedited 4 hour Finals broadcast would get WAY tedious for casual fans flipping channels; a 'reality show' type broadcast would maybe be most broad appealing but likely not the direction DCI would want to go). There are a myriad of problems with minimal upside. I think DCI's best option is to keep curating Fan Network, social media, and other internet options. That keeps DCI in complete control of content, is minimal cost (compared to broadcast TV), and is revenue for DCI.

Well, it WAS mentioned on this thread. And it is " first hand",( as I said above)..as I was in one of the PBS studios when it was conveyed to me directly by a PBS station Exec that was there during my volunteer years working the PBS pledge phones for the DCI telecast. Not only did the PBS begin to receive a higher frequency of reneged pledges, but the volume of pledges itself began to wan even prior to that. Thats what the PBS Rep in the studio told me directly.. so there you are.

Ok, so at one station at least it's from the horse's mouth. Thanks.

• Like 1

As to the little season wrap-up they put out with pop music: I think it's more a reminiscence and a thank you to the fans corps members. Just a nice thing they do. It's hard to imagine new fans being drawn in with it, or new corps members. But I don't think that's what it's for.

Back to promotion: someone mentioned social media. What does DCI have going on?

OK, just can't remember the years it was a 2 hour live telecast. Older I'm getting the years are blurring together anyway...

off the top of my head...

the full 4 hour plus show was 75-80

81 live was DCI Midwest

82 and 83 finals was highlights shown during the holidays

84-95 I believe was prime time live with the top 5

96-98 were highlights

99-02 were top 5 live ( I know, I still have the shirt Boston sold the day of finals when they snuck into 5th in MD in 2000)

then...I don't remember if there were highlights anymore, then the few ESPN years, then eventually the fan network.

Thanks to internet vernacular I read that as WTF instead of WITF

Stupid internet... :tounge2:

sometimes I call them WTF. it's taken them a month to update their listings, and ######, Sadie wants her Daniel Tiger to be on at a consistent time, not overlapping Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! That's a tough choice for a 2 and a half year old!

As to the little season wrap-up they put out with pop music: I think it's more a reminiscence and a thank you to the fans corps members. Just a nice thing they do. It's hard to imagine new fans being drawn in with it, or new corps members. But I don't think that's what it's for.

Back to promotion: someone mentioned social media. What does DCI have going on?

Re: wrap-up you're probably right. It seems probable that video is more for fans and more of a celebration of the season more than promotion or whatnot.

If that's the (likely) case, then I think it would benefit DCI if they edited a slightly longer version as a promotional type thing, or even putting the "What is DCI" video on their 'about' webpage to the front page. Obviously from August - Jan. would likely be a great time if they're looking to get people hyped to buy merchandise and/or try-out for corps. And May-June would be good to get people hyped for the upcoming season (to go to show and buy FN).

But, I'm probably over-thinking a tad

For social media DCI does have a Twitter & FB presence that they keep pretty up-to-date. They do a good job of reposting member corps' stuff (like vids from Crown in Asia), and even posting popular(ish) viral marching band videos (they actually posted a video from last MB season of the band I teach on Senior Appreciation Night).