Kanstul or Dynasty in G

Sweendoc

Performing in the senior/alumni realm as I do, the instrument most played is the G bugle. As far as I know no one or only a few are using Bb as of yet. I understand you all know this, but I got into an interesting argument the other day with a friend of mine. I play the Kanstul Powerbore and he plays the DEG (3-valve). Both of us believe our respective horns have less backpressure and are better playing than the other! Those of you who have played on both instruments, please let me know your $.02 worth. Which do you prefer Kanstul or Dynasty? Why?

P.S. I am sure this topic has been previously covered many times, but I am relatively new to DCP, so please indulge me. Also, with the all the changes being forced upon drum corps, I believe it's good to speak of the good ole' G bugle.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a baritone player, I've marched for about 12yrs, both jr/sr corps. I've played on King, Deg, Kanstul. It's really just personal preference, but I must say that playing either King or Kanstul were hands over playing a Deg. To me Degs 2/valve baris are over weight poorly designed horns. Although, you could drop them off a building, have a couple on the field collisions and keep marching with little more than a scratch. Now the new 3/valves Degs are a step in the right direction, but it's still no Kanstul or King.

So now, why do I like the Kanstul or King simple. For me the horns feel balanced with a neutral hand positions, and faster moving valves, not the bell heavy feel of the Degs. Also the larger slower feel of the valves. So I hope was some help.

I've played DEG sopranos for most of my career and would like to believe there's a G-bugle better than this. Getting the horn in tune is a pain, probably because the "square" tuning slide. The horns are made to be tuned at room temperature, which isn't the temperatures drum corps play in (Yank that tuning slide). And the pinky hooks are glued on so poorly that they pop off while in the middle of a show. Please tell me Kanstuls are better.

Smoothy

Myself, I own a Kanstul 3/valve bari that I bought used from a jr. corps. Although it was only on the road for two years, the horn just needed some basic maintenance, and was ready to go without a problem. But the best horn I've played was a 1982 King bari that was 10 yrs old when I started using it. The horn was beautiful to march with, a wonderful warm tone, the ability to play at LOUD volumes without sounding raspy or tinny like many Degs.

So yes for myself I would say, Kanstul is a better horn than Deg.

I am only speaking for the soprano. The 3-valve Kanstuls have a bad pipe configuration. It causes to much back pressure and loss of air speed. If you look at them, they wrap horizontally a the bottom of the horn. The Dynasty 3-valve is the opposite. It is really designed like a trumpet. Very good sound and free flowing open bore. Very nice horn. Now the best overall horn, IMHO, is the 2-valve Kanstul. Very large open bore and straight through pipe configuration. You want to play loud? I mean so loud you hurt someone? Get a 2-valve Kanstul bugle!

I've played both brand of sopranos and I'll agree with the DEG's being free blowing but the Kanstulls are much more even throughout the horn..... Meaning, each valve feels the same (flow wise). So the Kanstull allowed me to get the best sound at the loudest volume without blowing flat up above high c.

So I'll say Kanstull...... based on pitch center.

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars Lead Soprano 97,99 (deg years)

Spirit of Atlanta Lead Soprano 95 till I got Ill (kanstull years)

I prefer my '91 model Kanstul 3-valve, though it does have a little more resistance than I'd care to admit. They did attempt to compensate for the resistance, it seems, as the Kanstuls have a .470 bore. In later years, of course, they changed the lead pipe and called it a power bore. In both horns, I've been able to really "zing" the bell (moving the air so fast that the bell vibrates--it's very edgy, but creates a great lead sound--much like the old BD sound). The kanstul is also versatile enough that I've played a flugel solo in a jazz chart in a stage band with the horn and maitained a dark alto-like sound (in the lower register of course).

I've only played a DEG 2-valve sop for kicks, and that was a few years ago, so I don't remember to much about it, except that there were very noticeable differences in tonality/pitch center between the valve combinations. This can be a difficult thing to over-come while playing for any period of time, in that the player's endurance can suffer while changing the approach or technique to match tone and center of pitch between notes. I've also played Bach Strads that have had this same problem.

As far as bari's go, I own a 2-valve King and have played both 2-valve and 3 valve baris. The King is great and free-blowing, while the DEGs both had stuffiness and tonality and center-of-pitch problems. I prefer my King and the Kanstul bari's I've had the chance to play because the lower register is so much superior to the DEGs, especially with the pedal tones. If you get a chance to see/hear the Renegades this year--GO! At the end of Matrix the bari's have a written pedal A. The the sound is very dark and open to the credit of Todd Oliver and others in the bari line in dedicating so much time and money in locating Kings and Kanstuls to have in the line this year.

Edited by ravedodger