The Return of Southwind (among others)

if DCI is actually releasing the info, I'll trust that far more than stuff in DCW back in the day and Facebook

DCI could take a page from Formula 1 and have each corps fork over a bunch of money just to be listed. Then at least you'd know they're financially stable. Or they were, until they gave DCI all that money. But it could be kept in an escrow account that could only be used when a corps indicates it's in financial trouble and DCI takes over financially. Hmm. this post started out as a joke but maybe it could work.

oh yeah. and cell coverage down there can be a roll of the dice, even on interstates.

But hell, I can suffer that issue here

Since they put wifi in certain areas of the base my desk in the Dilbert cubicle farm is a dead zone.

Nothing like going to your car at the end of the day and hearing the voice mail tone...."ohhhh #####".

Of course the irony is I work in a converted WWII era warehouse....

Since they put wifi in certain areas of the base my desk in the Dilbert cubicle farm is a dead zone.

Nothing like going to your car at the end of the day and hearing the voice mail tone...."ohhhh #####".

Of course the irony is I work in a converted WWII era warehouse....

They shouldn't normally interfere, but maybe the wifi is bouncing around the old warehouse walls and generating other resonant frequencies. Either that or the stasis pod in the Roswell craft they keep in the basement has finally triggered, and the occupant is trying to phone home.

You could politely mention to either your boss or the alien that it's illegal to interfere with cell phone service. But it might fall on very large but deaf ears. Also, he might have a blaster. Your boss, not the alien. The alien's cool.

• Like 1

They shouldn't normally interfere, but maybe the wifi is bouncing around the old warehouse walls and generating other resonant frequencies. Either that or the stasis pod in the Roswell craft they keep in the basement has finally triggered, and the occupant is trying to phone home.

You could politely mention to either your boss or the alien that it's illegal to interfere with cell phone service. But it might fall on very large but deaf ears. Also, he might have a blaster. Your boss, not the alien. The alien's cool.

What ever is in the cubie walls ain't helping either. Just wierd spots in the building here and there that kill reception. Maybe I'm too close to the brick and who knows what firewall that's about a foot thick.

Our big nasty rumor from years past wasn't about an alien but what was in a filing cabinet that "magically" was buried before the parking lot of a nearby strip mall was paved. Somewhere in front of K-Mart is a spot that supposedly drives Geiger counter nutz...

Too bad the story about a 1940s medical waste burn pit isn't a story.... Yeah working on a military base can be interesting for the wrong reasons.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

So awesome to hear about a corps starting in OKC.

Oklahoma has a wealth of talent. If it's done right and can actively get better, membership won't be an issue.

I'm hoping they will at least be able to do an exhibition this summer at a show nearby.

What ever is in the cubie walls ain't helping either. Just wierd spots in the building here and there that kill reception. Maybe I'm too close to the brick and who knows what firewall that's about a foot thick.

Our big nasty rumor from years past wasn't about an alien but what was in a filing cabinet that "magically" was buried before the parking lot of a nearby strip mall was paved. Somewhere in front of K-Mart is a spot that supposedly drives Geiger counter nutz...

Too bad the story about a 1940s medical waste burn pit isn't a story.... Yeah working on a military base can be interesting for the wrong reasons.....

Well, once you've heard one medical waste burn pit story you've heard them all... :tounge2:

Oh, um ... Go SouthWind!

• 4 months later...

Just saw this come across my newsfeed today: DCI is expecting to see the return of Southwind along with 4 other new corps that have applied for membership in 2015.

Original article here.

DCI is referring to this time as "a growing resurgence of startup drum corps," citing the six corps that joined open class last year as well.

The new applicants include:

Freedom

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Web | Facebook | Twitter

Update regarding Oklahoma's Freedom:

On May 7, their website confirmed that they did not apply for Open this season because they didn't have the numbers to make a go of it, but would continue as a exhibition corps for another year.

Today, June 15, they announced they were cancelling their tour for this summer, but would try together strength over the coming summer and fall, and be ready next season.

Edited by Eleran

Update regarding Oklahoma's Freedom:

On May 7, their website confirmed that they did not apply for Open this season because they didn't have the numbers to make a go of it, but would continue as a exhibition corps for another year.

Today, June 15, they announced they were cancelling their tour for this summer, but would try together strength over the coming summer and fall, and be ready next season.

That's unfortunate. There's a lot of drum corps talent down in Oklahoma. Hopefully they can get the word out and start attracting some of it.