A hypothetical: Free tuition for corps members

You mean sorta like the difference between those who work and pay taxes, and those who don't work and don't pay taxes ? Like the lessons the working taxpayor learns when they pay these taxes, that the non taxpayor doesn't learn when they don't pay the taxes ? Sorta like that ?

its a non political forum, or supposed to be, thats another can of worms and not the topic. I think anyway..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I agree. If a Corps had the financial resources, and was willing to offer " free tuition" the pool of applicants in sheer numbers alone can be expected to increase exponentially from when such a Corps was previously charging fees. Thats just common sense. We assume as well that such a Corps would be wise enough to bring in quality staff FIRST and pay them well, before going the " free tuition " route with prospect tryouts for their Corps in the offseason.

Corps in a " free tuition " offering are not going to be taking in "freeloaders " here. The staff will be able to know pretty quickly who is there for the right reasons, and who is there simply for the " free lunch ". So I don't see this as a potential problem with this.

Edited by BRASSO

i ve seen ( although each circumstance can be different ) the member who was given a free ride and those who had to fight, work, scrape together the funds. IMO there is a lesson learned when you pay. Yes, although most if not all members are dead broke poor ( thats what most young people are ) tuition adjustments can be made BUT as i said there is a lesson when one has an obligation of payment. I have seen some smaller corps help many many students out ( free rides ) only to lose them and by some miracle they come up with the money to go march one of the top 12. Is this only a few cases? I wish. I know a few others here who have taught in recent years know exactly what I am saying. I think even if i were the one with the millions that suddenly appeared I personally would not make it a free ride, there's something said for working for what yOu want.

Of course, who wouldn't want free tuition, I would like my mortgage free also...lol.....then again were in the hypothetcial......sooooooo give them all free tuition..lol.....jmo

Isn't there (or didn't there used to be) some sort of rule that if you still have outstanding debts with one corps, you can't go march in another? Did I imagine that? (It's possible...)

Edited by troon8

Isn't there (or didn't there used to be) some sort of rule that if you owe money to one corps, you can't go march in another? Did I imagine that? (It's possible...)

well, yes, sorta, its a respect thing director to director . Contracts are signed in winter programs also and i do know a few directors who have actually taken it to small claims but also know alot of great programs who have folded for this reason.This hasnt worked over the years and many have gotten away with it. I can name many in top 12 who have taken members like that BUT also just ask many of the corps who have folded and why. At least part of the reason.

It's nice to believe in some Utopian world but its not the real world nor the world of reality that many in the activity have suffered .

Personally I have given thousands to members over the years, many thousands, but learned the hard way also to stop if I didnt see an actual effort on their own part and NEVER if they stiffed another group, summer or winter. Then I try to block them from doing it to yet another corps or winter program. Often successfully , sometimes not.

BUT YES it would be nice if were all free for deserving members but someway as LIAHONA said work and give back in another way. That i have seen work

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1