Troopers 2015 vs Crown 2007

sooo.... probably saw from my Akron review but it's really disturbing to me how similar these two shows are. There are certainly things that are different but here are a few of the things I saw that were too uncanny to be coincidences..

1) about 20 large white moving fence pieces that could be IDENTICAL to crown's in size/shape/color

2) guard uniforms= tight, brown, furry leggings-- like they are the horses basically

3) two wavy S-shaped lines of brass that merge into one while holding out long chord--

4) guard choreography and staging in the opening (back field grouped together, pawing at the ground with their feet as if they were hooves)--- and closer with a group of 5 or 6 running across the front of the formation from left to right as in a horse race

5) opening musical statement to set the scene

------------

and honestly--- i loved both shows, Crown 07 and Troopers 15... i really really liked it. I was very impressed at the entire troopers production and found myself thoroughly entertained and wow-ed and stuff----- -- but have any of you ever seen such a direct copy of a show concept from a design standpoint? I mean--- 2007 wasn't that long ago---

i dunno.. hadn't seen much on this

• Like 1

Interesting thread. I have nothing good to say about it (i haven't seen Troop's show yet) but i do think crown should retroactively name their 07 show "american pharoah"

sooo.... probably saw from my Akron review but it's really disturbing to me how similar these two shows are. There are certainly things that are different but here are a few of the things I saw that were too uncanny to be coincidences..

1) about 20 large white moving fence pieces that could be IDENTICAL to crown's in size/shape/color

2) guard uniforms= tight, brown, furry leggings-- like they are the horses basically

3) two wavy S-shaped lines of brass that merge into one while holding out long chord--

4) guard choreography and staging in the opening (back field grouped together, pawing at the ground with their feet as if they were hooves)--- and closer with a group of 5 or 6 running across the front of the formation from left to right as in a horse race

5) opening musical statement to set the scene

------------

and honestly--- i loved both shows, Crown 07 and Troopers 15... i really really liked it. I was very impressed at the entire troopers production and found myself thoroughly entertained and wow-ed and stuff----- -- but have any of you ever seen such a direct copy of a show concept from a design standpoint? I mean--- 2007 wasn't that long ago---

i dunno.. hadn't seen much on this

This is being asked merely as a question...and NOT a direct accusation, nero.

Are you suggesting artistic plagiarism here?

• Like 1

"Triple Crown"

Theme From Dreamer (2005, Debney)

The Trap (2004, Howard)

Wild Horses (1971, Jagger, Richards / Rolling Stones)

Happy Ending (Copland / The Red Pony)

Manny's Story (2005, Debney)

William Tell Overture (1829, Rossini)

Last Race (2005, Debney)

"Wild Horses"

(preshow) Theme from Dreamer (2005, Debney)

Open Spaces (2014, Smith)

Wild Horses (2004, Bedingfield)

Adrenaline City (2006, Gorb)

well let's see....

both about horses. some wild, others bred to win races, or least place.

horses are generally fenced in unless wild....so in Troops case, they try to tame them.....fences make sense

guard uniforms....well, not variation to how horses look other than color, so similarity makes sense

yean and all those other wavy s line drill sets that combine into one while holding out a long chord that others did in their shows about horses....oops

darn horses for pawing their hooves. don't they know that was Crown's idea?

Oh no one piece of music is similar. then they go in other directions.

yep, it's a ripoff all right!

( this sarcasm brought to you free of charge).

I mean lets be real...if you pay attention to horses at all, the uniform and body movement stuff is a no brainer. same for the fences.

however in Troop, I'm pretty sure we won't be breaking out the mint julips before post time

• Like 1

well let's see....

horses are generally fenced in unless wild....so in Troops case, they try to tame them.....fences make sense

guard uniforms....well, not variation to how horses look other than color, so similarity makes sense

yean and all those other wavy s line drill sets that combine into one while holding out a long chord that others did in their shows about horses....oops

I mean lets be real...if you pay attention to horses at all, the uniform and body movement stuff is a no brainer. same for the fences.

however in Troop, I'm pretty sure we won't be breaking out the mint julips before post time

Thanks for handing my butt to me on a silver platter, Jeff. I am in desperate need of that quite often. :colgate:

(I DO appreciate your tact.)

Edited by HornTeacher

well let's see....

but--- you've seen the show, right? (i saw it live 2 days ago)

like... in a group of people i was sitting in, there were lots of hushed whispers of "oh that is just how Crown 07 did it..." stuff like that

i'm not mad, i'm not affiliated with either group... i'm just wondering why i haven't seen more posts about this-- perhaps because more people haven't seen it live?

I'm not trying to hate--- it just really bothered me the # of times i felt that I had witnessed something that was in the same artistic approach crown used in 07 for their theme---

Both corps come by the idea naturally. Carolina Crown; Triple Crown

Troopers (i.e., U.S. cavalrymen) rode horses; Wild Horses

So they were/are tapping into their own identities. Once you commit to horses, you're pretty much committed to common inspiration for costuming, dance, props... I have a hard time believing fans watching Troopers in 2015 are mistaking them for Carolina Crown.

The music overlaps only in the pre-show -- not even being judged at that point.

The oldest marching members in 2015 were 13 years old when "Triple Crown" hit the field.

Sure, it's natural to observe certain similarities. But then, lots of corps use rifles, too. Some share the same style of hats. Or various styles of boxes/pyramids/cubes/mirrors/chairs/poles/stages that are pushed around the field. And of course, over the history of the activity, musical compositions have been duplicated widely.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

This is being asked merely as a question...and NOT a direct accusation, nero.

Are you suggesting artistic plagiarism here?

as I'm unclear on what exactly that would be defined as I wouldn't want to suggest that--- i'm just saying if you watch the shows back to back one's sense of the 2015 troopers show being heavily influenced by the 2007 crown show would be a very easy jump to make---

I have to agree with the OP. There are so many other ways to take this show without any fear of comparison. I often hear " they put a Trooper spin on it." What a cop out statement. When it's so similar you can't help but compare. Back in the day Troop was innovative. Today's staff seems to watch a lot of videos. I love this corps and can't wait to see how the show progresses throughout the season.