Do Words Matter?

To me, the use (IF it was initially intended as such, I grant you) of this was perfectly in line with the concept, if not an overt message, of the title of the show.

The words (again, to me solely, possibly) have an implied message of "Let yourself be open. Allow YOUR thoughts to be truly YOURS." The "Now we possess you. You"ll own that. You'll own that. Now we possess you, you'll know that in time" is nothing other than your own reality, and your own subconscious being, conveying to your conscious of what it is that you're hiding...and what you perceive to be right -- even if it is solely for you, and only you." In simple terms...it is the spiritual being attempting to instruct the corporeal being. Maybe in layman's terms, it becomes "This is what you think. This is what you ARE. You are not others...and others are not you. Go onward from that, and live by it."

"TILT against the windmills. TILT against the conventional. Don't be afraid...do not fear to BEND in YOUR own time and YOUR own way. And don't be afraid to fail...and thus, BEND back again. Because in the END...you shall always arrive there to open, accepting, and supportive arms to break your fall. And fear not...acceptance and acclaim shall be yours."

Now that I've most likely proven myself to be a complete idiot...

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

And a P.S. to the post above...if that is even CLOSE to the intent, then it becomes one HELL of a self-fufilling benediction.

To me, the use (IF it was initially intended as such, I grant you) of this was perfectly in line with the concept, if not an overt message, of the title of the show.

The words (again, to me solely, possibly) have an implied message of "Let yourself be open. Allow YOUR thoughts to be truly YOURS." The "Now we possess you. You"ll own that. You'll own that. Now we possess you, you'll know that in time" is nothing other than your own reality, and your own subconscious being, conveying to your conscious of what it is that you're hiding. In simple terms...it is the spiritual being attempting to instruct the corporeal being. Maybe in layman's terms, it becomes "This is what you think. This is what you ARE. You are not others...and others are not you. Go onward from that, and live by it."

"TILT against the windmills. TILT against the conventional. Don't be afraid...do not fear to BEND in YOUR own time and YOUR own way. Because in the END...there will always arrive there to open, accepting, and supportive arms to break your fall. And fear not...acceptance and acclaim shall be yours."

Now that I've most likely proven myself to be a complete idiot...

No, but I am wondering...

Do you grow those mushrooms in your own back yard or do you have to "wild" to find them?

:tounge2:

No, but I am wondering...

Do you grow those mushrooms in your own back yard or do you have to "wild" to find them?

:tounge2:

I don't know...ask some horses.

(And as for mushrooms...they were store-bought...and made one heck of a mushroom sauce to augment the evening's steak.) :silly: , Yourself. :colgate:

And if I may be so bold to ask: you have apparently pooh-poohed my simplistic contribution for which you polled in the first place.). The subsequent response, therefore, you deem to be of an insufficient (if not totally false, or at least hallucinatorally-induced point of view). If that indeed be true, then I ask you: what is YOUR interpretation?? Or are you merely throwing out a question of which you may sit back in your seat and decree (or infer) as being simply "wrong?" I challenge you...share your thoughts. If you are not willing to do so, then please, for the sake of others, don't automatically dismiss their contributions as being of lesser value. After all...in my mind, even a wrong, though consciously-based contribution, based upon even the smallest acceptance and understanding of the imperfect human mind, remains to be far more legitimate than no expressed or undecided viewpoint at all.

Edited by HornTeacher

The beauty of this song, aside from the obvious musical spell it casts - i.e., if you take the words out you still have a GORGEOUS and haunting piece of music as performed by the Coats and OC and many others. But the beauty in the lyrics is that upon first hearing, what the song is really saying doesn't sink in - at all. You think it's about validation, or acceptance, or something like that. And you can go on thinking that forever and still enjoy the heck out of the song.

But that's not what it's about at all.

FWIW: My interp for 'tilt' is that our information gathering AI is out of balance and we have reached a tipping point. I could be 100% wrong but it would work!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

The beauty of this song, aside from the obvious musical spell it casts - i.e., if you took the words out you still have a GORGEOUS and haunting piece of music. But the beauty in the lyrics is that upon first hearing, what the song is really saying doesn't sink in - at all. You think it's about validation, or acceptance, or something like that. And you can go on thinking that forever and still enjoy the heck out of the song.

But that's not what it's about at all.

If I am not mis-representing your thoughts...."GREAT music. GREAT show. GREAT (although still-to-be ascertained) message. Something which many will remember and love for a long, long time."

My sentiments, exactly.

Something which many will remember and love for a long, long time."

This, yes.

But the message from Vienna Teng was clear.

The message from OC was clear.

The message from Bluecoats not so much.

Edited by luv4corps

Thanks for referencing my post! That's a first.

Anyway, in my opinion, since the post was specifically on the original music in winter guard shows, that you can have more lee-way to make music fit your theme in drum corps. Movement G.E., however (such as the bug squash, plies, laying on the ground), have to have some semblance of thought behind them. Other than "multiple demands and looks cool right now let's do it!" I was kinda trying to tie in that with the topic.

Michael Gaines once said in a video back in 2007 that there has to be a reason for ever flag-toss, break-neck drill move, etc. Something akin to that anyway.

• Like 1

This, yes.

But the message from Vienna Teng was clear.

The message from OC was clear.

The message from Bluecoats not so much.

For Vienna, we can only weep that her words didn't find fruition and total apparent understanding (within the world of Drum and Bugle Corps, I mean). But to that, I would submit a Stephen King quote which has long lived with me...

"It is the message...not he who tells it."

Edited by HornTeacher

For Vienna, we can only weep that her words didn't find fruition and total apparent understanding (within the world of Drum and Bugle Corps, I mean). But to that, I would submit a Stephen King quote which has long lived with me...

"It is the message...not he who tells it."

Vienna loved both drum corps versions, so at least there's that. At the risk of sounding like the "pseudo-intellectual on the rise on DCP," this is probably Derrida's 'death of the author' playing out. With any art form submitted, you just have to accept that people are going to run with their meaning of your work. Unless it's spoon-fed, of course.