Criticizing the "Kids"

As an outsider looking in, and as an individual who had the great fortune to spend a couple of "outside the lines" hours at Tanglewood on Monday, observing young men and women from 2 of the "elite" Drum and Bugle Corps, I feel I am qualified enough to state this:

1) These are many of our finest. Not finest musicians...not finest drummers, buglers, or guard members. They are among the finest of our upcoming generation in terms of a national "society."

This is far more common on DCP and as such far more annoying to me; the deification of Marching Members. Even if we accept they are all ‘athletes of god’ some of the stuff we pulled on the bus, some of the stuff I’ve seen on less moderated forums, some of the marchers I’ve interacted with …

I figure it’s a band parent, educator, desperate old person pandering to egos to keep DCI stocked sort of thing cause I don’t get it

adult drum corp groupies, ever so strange

• Like 1

That includes those who have posted on this forum.

Uh....yeah. I'll quietly second that.

That includes those who have posted on this forum.

Well, ya... but for awhile there we weren't sure you'd fess up, Lincoln.( haha!)

I'm not sure that I find it to be within adjudicationary taste. However...I am also not one to argue with your experience. Personally...(and between you and me)...I laughed like hell at your remembrance. Thanks for the positive entertainment. It was much enjoyed.

a lot of it depends on the unit being judged. if you know the staff, and know they won't be offended, it's ok.

it also allows the judges to appear human. we aren't just the evil ######## in our polos with the circuit logo on it who come in to ruin people's days/seasons. TOB has an All Star Band that performs in the Philly Thanksgiving Parade every year, and for the first three years it existed, I was in charge of the percussion section. The first thing I did was to explain to the kids that yes, while we judge/rank/rate and all of that stuff, we wouldn't do this if we weren't truly big band kids at heart. We were once in their shoes, and wish we had an opportunity like that available to us when we were in school. I truly think that has helped break so many myths about evil judges, and to this day, if I run into one of those kids somewhere, they're quick to say "hi" and chat for a few seconds.

Maybe you need to revisit the "we." You use it a lot and I'm just not sure on it's accuracy.

Another one of my posts that " has no merit" to you, Lincoln ?

Edited by HornTeacher

. I truly think that has helped break so many myths about evil judges,

Yes.. any criticism, wherever and whenever it is heard, that the judges " are evil ", is a bit absurd and ridiculous.

I screwed up on post #157. My reactions started from the "Sorry to disappoint you, Cowtown. Now in the process of trying to fix it...