Sampled Old with New? Virtual duets with alumni?

Well, as OP of what was supposed to just be a "joking" post, I think this thread can wander where you all wish. But on the key thing (above)... Well, I know some fine conservatory teachers that can move seamlessly between an Eb alto trombone and Bb trombone in the same concert. I know some guys that will double on Bb flugelhorn and Eb tennorhorn in some of the finest British brass bands. I've seen an outstanding Army Band player double on Tuba and trombone (for the solo) on the SAME PIECE. I've seen Tine Thing Helseth play not only different key trumpets and cornets in the same concert, but an antique KEYED trumpet, to boot. Flawlessly. Drum corps is a (mostly) youth activity performed on a football field with mostly terrible acoustics, trains, planes, and police sirens. If your brain/ear/chops can't make an adjustment to different keys on SAME MOUTHPIECE (say G sop and Bb trumpet)... maybe you're not as good as you think you are. Get over yourselves. I have a whole collection of horns I keep in my office (4 minute walk to work) and go there in the evening after everyone else is gone. BBb tuba. Bb concert euph. G Euph. G Baritone, my sweet baby Willson Bb marching trombone, a 1909 Holton Bb cornet. Bb Getzen MF Trumpet. and a 1970s FE Olds F mellophone (bare brass and custom lead pipe) I play with a massive Wick #1 bottomless tenor mouthpiece. I play whatever I feel like playing that night -- usually three different horns in an hour. I like to play the trumpet in the warehouse/garage. Low brass in the lobby. Cornet at my desk. Before you play the first note, you say to yourself, "This is a mellophone in F" and hear it in your head, and your chops-muscle-memory/ears/brain shift gears. 20 minutes later, you pick up the euphonium, and you go through the same first-breath mental exercise. I had an outstanding teacher in high school that studied under both Mr. Jacobs and Mr. Hurseth. All my teacher seemed to talk about was breathing and hearing the note before you play it and he even had an exercise to deal with doubling (tuba and trombone) about that mental shift-of-gears of how you "manage air" differently per horn, and brain to lock in the chops before that first note. He (my teacher) played euphonium, tuba AND trumpet professionally. He said if you can double, you double your odds of employment. :) [correction. Allison Balsom on keyed trumpet. They look similar (the players)] Search for this on YOUTUBE: "ALISON BALSOM - Sound the Trumpet (Royal Music of Purcell & Handel)" And proof a good player can overcome even a plastic horn... https://youtu.be/NLAHSgZaMU0

Edited by dannyboy

Yeah! Mylar vs kevlar and/or aramid! That would be righteous!

Wouldn't it be fun to bring back some of those screamer solos if they could be autotuned? Not a bad idea at all...

• Like 1

Well, as OP of what was supposed to just be a "joking" post, I think this thread can wander where you all wish. But on the key thing (above)... Well, I know some fine conservatory teachers that can move seamlessly between an Eb alto trombone and Bb trombone in the same concert. I know some guys that will double on Bb flugelhorn and Eb tennorhorn in some of the finest British brass bands. I've seen an outstanding Army Band player double on Tuba and trombone (for the solo) on the SAME PIECE. I've seen Tine Thing Helseth play not only different key trumpets and cornets in the same concert, but an antique KEYED trumpet, to boot. Flawlessly. Drum corps is a (mostly) youth activity performed on a football field with mostly terrible acoustics, trains, planes, and police sirens. If your brain/ear/chops can't make an adjustment to different keys on SAME MOUTHPIECE (say G sop and Bb trumpet)... maybe you're not as good as you think you are. Get over yourselves. I have a whole collection of horns I keep in my office (4 minute walk to work) and go there in the evening after everyone else is gone. BBb tuba. Bb concert euph. G Euph. G Baritone, my sweet baby Willson Bb marching trombone, a 1909 Holton Bb cornet. Bb Getzen MF Trumpet. and a 1970s FE Olds F mellophone (bare brass and custom lead pipe) I play with a massive Wick #1 bottomless tenor mouthpiece. I play whatever I feel like playing that night -- usually three different horns in an hour. I like to play the trumpet in the warehouse/garage. Low brass in the lobby. Cornet at my desk. Before you play the first note, you say to yourself, "This is a mellophone in F" and hear it in your head, and your chops-muscle-memory/ears/brain shift gears. 20 minutes later, you pick up the euphonium, and you go through the same first-breath mental exercise. I had an outstanding teacher in high school that studied under both Mr. Jacobs and Mr. Hurseth. All my teacher seemed to talk about was breathing and hearing the note before you play it and he even had an exercise to deal with doubling (tuba and trombone) about that mental shift-of-gears of how you "manage air" differently per horn, and brain to lock in the chops before that first note. He (my teacher) played euphonium, tuba AND trumpet professionally. He said if you can double, you double your odds of employment. :) [correction. Allison Balsom on keyed trumpet. They look similar (the players)] Search for this on YOUTUBE: "ALISON BALSOM - Sound the Trumpet (Royal Music of Purcell & Handel)" And proof a good player can overcome even a plastic horn... https://youtu.be/NLAHSgZaMU0

Apples and oranges, man. You're talking about pros, when the reality is you're asking a decent-playing undergrad to do this.

I guess we was just dumbah then, hee hee! :augen51:

You know, It would be fascinating for a corps to have maching color instruments with the plastic. Can you imagine Euphs and Tubas weighing like nothing? Hell you can be Platicorps!!!!