little respect and dignity from Academy drumline

That's part of the hype of Drumline Battle. Seriously, we've had kids chugging entire boxes of cereal for God's sake, and we're going to complain about Academy?

• Like 1

I must admit that kid looked like he was on his fourth or fifth box by the time he gobbled down that last one. The bus ride home must have been entertaining! LOL!

To segue a bit...

The Academy won the 2015 World Class drumline battle World Championships last year...

...primarily (only!?) because, at 15th, they were the highest placing World class corps to participate.

Is it good or bad when the top 14 corps are mostly absent from I&E, soundsport, and drumline battle? Is it something that needs to be fixed?

(BD participates in I&E; probably because they sponsor it)

On one hand, that results in a lot of opportunities for non-finalist kids to win something.

On the other, a lot of finalist kids miss out on the experience.

Then there's the question of continued relevance, especially of I&E.

To segue a bit...

Then there's the question of continued relevance, especially of I&E.

I would hate to see I&E go entirely. Something would be lost forever there. The real question is, why aren't kids participating? Oops prob'ly question for another thread.

• Like 1

I would hate to see I&E go entirely. Something would be lost forever there. The real question is, why aren't kids participating? Oops prob'ly question for another thread.

My impression; Corps don't allow them to, aren't willing to give up the rehearsal time.

(I know that was the case with The Academy this year.)

(This probably should be a different post, lol)

IMO kids 'do' corps for the 'exceptional experience'.

I think the 'fix' could include corps staff adding things like participation in drumline battle and I&E (as well as parades, community standstills, high school band workshops, etc.) to their 'cleanest possible performance' definition of 'exception experience'.

Having never marched myself, I can only go by what my son said when he marched. I think a lot of the 'practicing' - and I say that loosely - happens on the bus and during the precious few minutes of free time they get.