Just a thought here...

Checking things out with my main source: Cliff Richmond ... will report back on what he says ...

:-)

The repertoires I have were published in DCN, the original DCW, Drum Corps Digest, Jay Tobin's personal archive. It showed that they both played Just One of Those Things. The reps I have for 60 St. Raphael's and 67 PAL don't show any common music. They must have changed their repertoires after they were published.

From Cliff "The Authority" RIchmond":

Hello Andy:
GREAT to hear from you!!!!!!!!! I didn't know PAL played "_________". I remember it from St Raphael's in 1960. Jim Donnelly wrote it, along with all the rest of the tunes ...
PAL DID play "One of those things" in 1961. I don't know who wrote it for them "Dad" Ruge was horn instructor, and I believe Ray Chauchet worked with them
I don't remember PAL playing "Rainbow" Buccaneers played it in 1960. (Another Donnelly tune).
The "War March" fanfare was copied by PAL's horn guy and used in 1961 & 1962. Very similar sounding.

Checking things out with my main source: Cliff Richmond ... will report back on what he says ...

Wow! Jim Donnelly!

He was my first horn instructor, at Xavier High School in 1960. He showed me how to hold a Ludwig valve soprano and to play a C scale. I was so naive I just thought he was a nice old guy who taught our parade corps.

When John Sasso took over from him the following year and recruited me to St. Catherine's, I recall making some comment about the "old guy". John gave me the death stare and said, "That old guy has won more Nationals than anybody. You don't know how lucky you were to be taught by him."

Only then did I learn some of my history and how Jim had written for Sky, St. Vinnies and all the rest, and "'invented" the French Horn bugle with Caesar LaMonica.

• Like 2

Okay ... I'm tied up with a Tag Sale all day so, I'll just fill in the trivia song ... both the Bucs (1960) and Bpt PAL (1967) played "The Best Things In Life Are Free" ... St. Raphael's played the full version in the second half of their show ... the PAL played it as their Final Signature on the Finish Line ...

Cliff and I used to communicate via that thing called U.S. Mail a few decades back.

• 2 weeks later...

Subdividing the historical threads could rouse some interest in the historical forum.

One reason fewer people may comment I n the historical threads could be a good deal of the older material has already been commented on, and many threads are repeating things that have been said before, so why rehash it?

A second possibility may be marching members themselves. If you marched prior to 1990, there's a very good chance you grew up in the activity and it was your passion. Today that's not the case. Kids who march may only do so for two or three years and may not march with the same corps the entire time. This gives them a very different perspective from those who marched in the 80's, 70's, 60's, or 50's. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different.

The historic threads do serve an important purpose. For one thing, we hear the history often from people who lived it. Second, while shows may be different, instrumentation is different, the historic threads show us how much the generations do have in common.

• Like 2

Just as the editorials and articles in DCN do upon review of those written in the 60's 70's and 80's ... times, they were a changin' ... and the pros and cons of "change" were just as vocal as current discussions ... DCW should publish a "Through The Years - Book of DCN Editorials" ... I dare say, it might be as popular as FTD's "Off The Record" series ...

'...the historic threads show us how much the generations do have in common."

Spot on, Tim K.

• Like 1