Visual proficiency

Crown walks in free forms plenty... while SOMEONE is marching 200+ bpm to end their show, Crown is using a banner to cover a free form followed by 1 move with very small step sizes and no velocity.

Yes cadets are absolutely moving, most of their show. Great performers, however the downer for me is the middle song where

they condense to within 10 yards for at least 4 mins of their show and loose me (boxes part) not sure of the song title. When I first saw cadets in training on periscope, that part to me was their weak point of their show, all they were doing came to a stop. Now we can say every corp has a down moment this year but that one really visually , passes the gold to SOMEONE else.

Crown walks in free forms plenty... while SOMEONE is marching 200+ bpm to end their show, Crown is using a banner to cover a free form followed by 1 move with very small step sizes and no velocity.

unfortunately once you've proven you mastered a skill, it doesn't really help to just keep repeating it over and over. variety of skills is the key. (btw im not suggesting cadets dont exhibit that -- it's just that your comparison is not really relevant)

• Like 1

Yes cadets are absolutely moving, most of their show. Great performers, however the downer for me is the middle song where

they condense to within 10 yards for at least 4 mins of their show and loose me (boxes part) not sure of the song title. When I first saw cadets in training on periscope, that part to me was their weak point of their show, all they were doing came to a stop. Now we can say every corp has a down moment this year but that one really visually , passes the gold to SOMEONE else.

That said, I have noticed that Crown the last couple years has started throwing some "cadets-esque" drill in their shows, and they do it well.

Much like I look forward to Crown's hornline every year, I also look forward to the last 45-60 seconds of the Cadets show. Because I know it will be crazy.

Also, I think Crown's visual relates a lot more to their theme/story this year and Cadets is more abstract I guess... I really like the Cadets show, but I don't understand the "power of 10" business. Crown's makes a lot more sense, and to me it seems like they should be noticeably ahead in visual GE.

unfortunately once you've proven you mastered a skill, it doesn't really help to just keep repeating it over and over. variety of skills is the key. (btw im not suggesting cadets dont exhibit that -- it's just that your comparison is not really relevant)

I think the Cadets are attempting to add more of this variety... but they look really weird in their uniforms attempting Crown-like hornline visuals (I do think Crown goes a little too far in this area sometimes, but it works for them).

If we decrease the value of marching, then we will definitely be fully into a summer guard circuit with live music... lol.

I think the Cadets are attempting to add more of this variety... but they look really weird in their uniforms attempting Crown-like hornline visuals (I do think Crown goes a little too far in this area sometimes, but it works for them).

If we decrease the value of marching, then we will definitely be fully into a summer guard circuit with live music... lol.

i dont think marching is going away. witness BD adding more actual real difficult drill to their production this year :ninja:

and certainly marching 200bpm at the end of your program exhibits great stamina and concentration which *do* get credited on the sheet.

in any case i think it's pretty clear the activity is going to keep changing and exploring new ways for these young performers to shine.

• Like 2