Visual proficiency

Considering that the guard didn't actually have their own scores until later in DCI's existence, I think it's fair for corpsband to acknowledge the contribution of the guard as he has here. Now it seems that the guard is more than 1/3 of the contribution though, as they have their own caption and they are integrated into the other visual captions too. Interesting how things are balanced these days...

the judges sample the entire corps. it's the totality of the performers vocabulary and acheivement. it's not really all about the guard. it just doesn't IGNORE the guard (as the earlier definintion did).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

This is a good definition...

for 1980 :ninja:

The caption encompasses quite a bit more now :-) Most importantly it includes the guard!

I never stated that Visual Proficiency caption is restricted to just the Brass. But if you want to play that game, 2 can play. Its not restricted to just the Brass, and " the Guard " either, YOU failed to add that " more importantly " it also includes the Percussion section as well.

The listing of content and achievement were the BROAD categories in this caption too. The Visual Proficiency judges are judging everything I listed above as the SKILL SETS within this broad category... the very same as they did " in 1980". If you don't believe so, then it just demonstrates how little you know about this caption. My guess, you should have not jumped in with your snarky and smarmy reply. Not simply because it was just snarky and smarmy, but principally because you are simply wrong on the fact that what I just listed is in fact some of the many specific skill sets in what is being judged today in this judging caption.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Not really. Their marching musicians have a broader vocabulary and greater excellence than nearly every other corps. Their guard excellence helps sure. But it's not the whole story at all.

Explains a bit of BD's competitive dominance for the past 7-8 years.

You and I are in agreement.

I never stated that Visual Proficiency caption is restricted to just the Brass. But if you want to play that game, 2 can play. Its not restricted to just the Brass, and " the Guard " either, YOU failed to add that " more importantly " it also includes the Percussion section as well.

The listing of content and achievement were the BROAD categories in this caption. The Visual Proficiency judges are judging everything I listed above... the very same as they did " in 1980". If you don't believe so, then it just demonstrates how little you know about this caption. My guess, you should have not jumped in with your snarky and swarmy reply. Not simply because it was just snarky and swarmy, but principally because you are simply wrong on the fact that what I just listed is in fact still what is being judged today in this judging caption.

Silly Brasso. I never said it includes only the guard and hornline. Please quote the message where I made that assertion.

Your definition would lead the reader to believe that the caption is JUST about marching. This is NOT a valid definition as it includes ALL the visual contributions that ALL the moving performers contribute to the program.

But you keep it up with the insults and misrepresentations -- we LOVE your style :biggrin:

Edited by corpsband

I've listed to 20+ VP tapes each year over the past five years. Typically there are 3-5 battery comments. About 50% horns, 45% guard. If the VP judge has a guard background then make it about 60% guard and 35% horns

Those are just some rough percentages. Depends on the judge.

Edited by rmurrey74

Silly Brasso.

Your definition would lead the reader to believe that the caption is JUST about marching. :biggrin:

No. You don't speak for anyone else. Right now, its only you that has concluded that my listing of the skill sets that are judged in this caption were ( your words )" JUST about marching ". As a matter of fact, one cursory read of the skill sets I listed had more than half that would be sensibly interpreted as non " marching " skill sets. My listing of what is being judged in this caption is spot on. It was not meant to be all inclusive, and I said as much in my remarks above too. Additionally, If you'd care to tell us which skill set I listed above is NOT what a judge is judging in this Visual Proficiency caption, then by all means let us know. If you can't, or won't tell where I was in error in the listing of these specific skill sets being judged both in 1980 and here in 2015 in this Vis. Prof. caption, then your silence on it will be conclusive that you simply came up empty. The skill sets I listed above are indeed what the judges are judging ( among other skill sets ) in this specific subcaption on the current DCI sheets.

Edited by BRASSO

No. You don't speak for anyone else. Right now, its only you that has concluded that my listing of the skill sets that are judged in this caption were ( your words )" JUST about marching ". As a matter of fact, one cursory read of the skill sets I listed had more than half that would be sensibly interpreted as non " marching " skill sets. My listing of what is being judged in this caption is spot on. If you care to tell us which skill set I listed above is NOT what a judge is judging in this Visual Proficiency caption, then by all means let us know. If you can't, or won't tell where I was in error in the listing of these specific skill sets being judged both in 1980 and here in 2015 in this Vis. Prof caption, then your silence on it will be conclusive that you simply came up empty, and the skill sets I listed above are indeed what the judges are judging ( among other skill sets ) in this specific subcaption on the current DCI sheets.

LOL! Again you're just trying to twist words.

I said your definition was appropriate for 1980. I didn't make any claims that what you said was WRONG. I said it was WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE.

Keep it up champ. You're in fine form tonight!

ps. i think you forgot to answer this.

'I never said it includes only the guard and hornline. Please quote the message where I made that assertion.

Edited by corpsband

I said your definition was appropriate for 1980. I didn't make any claims that what you said was WRONG. I said it was WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE.

I thought my listing of the skill sets being judged in this subcaption were detailed enough. If my reply to the OP's question was ( your words ) " woefully incomplete " then thats your observation. But objective readers here can determine for themselves if my reply above to the OP's question was as " woefully incomplete " in detail as yours.

You jumped in with a quick criticism on my reply as to the OP's question. But you have nothing here to refute my detailed skill sets listed, other than to scream ( thats what caps are designed to do ) that my reply was " WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE ). I'd say you are in fine form tonite on this thread with your screaming with the big caps biz ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

I thought my listing of the skill sets being judged in this subcaption were detailed enough. If my reply to the OP's question was ( your words ) " woefully incomplete " then thats your observation. But objective readers here can determine for themselves if my reply to the OP's question was as " woefully incomplete " as yours.

LOL!

You are hilarious Brasso :-)

Readers can indeed see that leaving out (a) most of the criteria and (b) 1/3rd of the performers might lead objective readers to conclude your definintion was woefully incomplete.

And I'm STILL waiting for you to show me the message where I said that this caption is restritcted to the brass and guard. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE enlighten me oh great can of metal polish!

Edited by corpsband