Stirring the pot !

For those that are making the treak to Rochester and those watching the live feed the biggest disappointment in Minnesota Brass's show is that you'll only get to see it two more times live. Regardless of placement it's one of those shows that you'll love to watch over and over. It's a tantelizing seamless production from beginning to end with maddening melody and captivating harmonic. It has all of the right ingredients to give you goose bumps and the chill's.

• Like 2

I don't think so, but that's just me. I don't really think Cadets2 have the program that say the Cabs or Bucs have. And I'm talking difficulty and design. This is obviously a fantastic year for them, and it's definitely something they need to build on next year. But look at the Cabs and the Bucs. They have some pretty hard drill and music. If either corps can really clean their show, they're looking at a 1st place finish. I just don't think Cabs2 are quite there yet.

I haven't seen MB this year so I can't comment on their program but I assume they too are going to be competitive for 1st.

I would respectfully disagree. Certainly C2's program will not compare favorably with the Bucs, however C2 has every bit the program as the Cabs, who seem to spend a LOT of time hanging between the 30 yard lines.

I don't think so, but that's just me. I don't really think Cadets2 have the program that say the Cabs or Bucs have. And I'm talking difficulty and design. This is obviously a fantastic year for them, and it's definitely something they need to build on next year. But look at the Cabs and the Bucs. They have some pretty hard drill and music. If either corps can really clean their show, they're looking at a 1st place finish. I just don't think Cabs2 are quite there yet.

I haven't seen MB this year so I can't comment on their program but I assume they too are going to be competitive for 1st.

It's a relatively new corps so it will take time for them to get that level of membership retention for the staff to add more complexity to their program but it's improving. Another issue is they lose a bunch of their most talented each year to Cadets so it's harder for them to retain the cream of their crop for the following season. If they place well this weekend, that may begin to change as more come to C2 to be in C2 and not a springboard to Cadets.

It's a relatively new corps so it will take time for them to get that level of membership retention for the staff to add more complexity to their program but it's improving. Another issue is they lose a bunch of their most talented each year to Cadets so it's harder for them to retain the cream of their crop for the following season. If they place well this weekend, that may begin to change as more come to C2 to be in C2 and not a springboard to Cadets.

C2 would also benefit from having their own vehicle and not just a watered down retread of a DCI program. However from my view, C2's content, especially in percussion and visual just kills it! Cabs may have an edge in the complexity of their horn program.

I would respectfully disagree. Certainly C2's program will not compare favorably with the Bucs, however C2 has every bit the program as the Cabs, who seem to spend a LOT of time hanging between the 30 yard lines.

Different opinions I guess. To me, the drill and music isn't really on the level of either the Cabs or Bucs. And when I say that I mean the difficulty. As for the Cabs, sure they have a lot of drill between the 30s, but that doesn't mean it's easy, if that's what you meant. Close interval drill, which seems to be a Cabs thing this year, is pretty difficult. And the Cabs brass and persussion book is very complex. Their brass book might even be a little too complex, since it seems they're having a hard time cleaning it. Overall, Hawthorne and Reading have more demanding shows, in my opinion.

I'm not talking about their program in regards to the staff and the the kids out there. Capability isn't a question here. I just don't think Cadets2 have a 1st or 2nd place show this year. But it's still their best year by far. I wouldn't be surprised if they take 1st within the next 5 years. But not this year.

Edited by Name
  • Like 1

C2 would also benefit from having their own vehicle and not just a watered down retread of a DCI program. However from my view, C2's content, especially in percussion and visual just kills it! Cabs may have an edge in the complexity of their horn program.

I think as the Cadet organization gets more comfortable with DCA, you'll see less DCI retreads and something unique to C2.

And since the title of this thread is Stirring the Pot, how about the possibility of Cabs falling to 4th place?

I could definitely see a repeat of 2014 with Cabs dropping to 3rd (except without all that 2014 drama). I would be very surprised if they end up at 4th. They've consistently added more and more to the show each week. Right now they just need to clean clean clean. I'd say there's as much of chance of them getting 4th as there is for them getting 1st. Possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

"May???????" IIRC, in defense of C2, this is not a retreaded Cadets program from the past that I'm aware of.... but the Cabs "may" have an edge? Umm... the proper term there is that they "do".

• Like 1

I could definitely see a repeat of 2014 with Cabs dropping to 3rd (except without all that 2014 drama). I would be very surprised if they end up at 4th. They've consistently added more and more to the show each week. Right now they just need to clean clean clean. I'd say there's as much of chance of them getting 4th as there is for them getting 1st. Possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Saw Bucs at Big Sounds and I would say that they are probably as close to a safe bet for the championship as I have ever seen. In fact, I was thinking that in the interest of getting folks out and on the road a bit earlier on Sunday evening, that we just have the Bucs do the first half of their program. Then we can score the 10th place through second place corps. If the second place corps scores 97.50, give the Bucs. 97.51 and call it a night!

Edited by VOReason