In The News – Ridgewood’s OLMM Orbits Reunite After Four Decades

Sometimes the band plays on years after its members have played together. Take, for instance, members of the Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Orbits Drum and Bugle Corps of Ridgewood, which last performed more than four decades ago. Earlier this month, a group of more than 50 former Orbiters reunited for a special event […]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2015/10/in-the-news-ridgewoods-olmm-orbits-reunite-after-four-decades/

Wow! How did I miss this?

I positively loved teaching this corps. Tommy Martin had done so for some time and around 1972 found himself a bit overstretched with instructing assignments. He suggested they hire me as his replacement. (Note: Tommy Martin was then, and is now, completely irreplaceable.)

The Orbits were a wonderful corps filled with wonderful people and I have always been proud of my association with them.

Shouldn't this topic be in the historical junior corps thread as Orbits were never a DCA corps but competed in L.I.M&M, Greater NY, and Brooklyn CYO. Mods?

Jim Lawrence of Carolina Crown's BoD marched here. The Sacktig family (including Jeff) marched the other Ridgewood parish corps, St. Mathias Blue Max.

Edited by xandandl

There were several corps in the Ridgewood area, a blue-collar neighborhood where Brooklyn meets Queens, among them The St. Aloysius Blue Eagles where a young man named Jack Meehan taught brass before me.

He also provided trumpet lessons to a number of fine future drum corps stars, Pete "China" Franceschina and Peter DeMarigny, both of whom became noted corps soloists and are still playing great music today.

Shouldn't this topic be in the historical junior corps thread as Orbits were never a DCA corps but competed in L.I.M&M, Greater NY, and Brooklyn CYO. Mods?

Jim Lawrence of Carolina Crown's BoD marched here. The Sacktig family (including Jeff) marched the other Ridgewood parish corps, St. Mathias Blue Max.

When I post news items on the front page, alumni isn't an option, unfortunately, so I try to categorize as close as I can so the related forum post is at least near the correct discussion section.

When I post news items on the front page, alumni isn't an option, unfortunately, so I try to categorize as close as I can so the related forum post is at least near the correct discussion section.

ok, thanks.

I thought it would go here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/forum/59-historical-junior-corps-discussions/

Maybe another thing the admins need to ask their grandkids about: how do I do ....?

Edited by xandandl