What is "standard" instrumentation / lineup?

In regards to pit "pulsing", I remember when I was teaching a top 12 pit in the late 80s early 90s, having many conversations in critique about the members needing to sell their performance...especially dynamics. That was the beginning of putting your nose on the board when you played soft and pulling as far away from the board as possible when you played loud. Drove me crazy. As for the whole pulsing thing, there is no question that the members of the front ensemble must communicate with each other in some manner to maintain consistent tempo throughout the ensemble. Pulsing is just the latest method people use to accomplish it. At least it serves an actual purpose. Unlike the whole dynamic thing. Different strokes for different folks. When I marched in Blue Devils back before dirt, I could watch Dave Brown play all day long. He always eluded a confidence in his playing but never once bought into all those shenanigans. Arguably one of the best keyboard players in DCI history (won individuals several years in a row). He was always intense and there was never any doubt of his abilities or musicianship...but looking like a silent movie actor from the 20s in the process? No.

Dan

i'll make it really easy:

brass, percussion and electronics. every corps chooses the breakdown as they see fit/off of what comes out to march and makes it.

True enough. I noticed these large member College Marching Bands are so huge that there is actually a bit more of the conventional " park and bark " being done by the musicians in these huge units in longer portions of their performances.. With the advent of the grounded large front ensembles, the " marchers " in these increasingly larger sections really don't do any visual movement at all, let alone " march ". In DCI, these non movement people are principally found in Percussion sections. Since the current DCI scoring sheets award more " visual " build up points to other sections, ie Guard for example, these grounded, non movement, front ensemble Percussionists ( 2 dozen or more in numbers in many Corps ) are really limited thus in the amount of build up points they can accrue for their Corps in DCI competition ( compared to a Brass marcher, Guard marcher ).

2 dozen in the front ensemble/pit? Who has ever had that many?? I think the most I've ever seen is 16

For some reason, this is one thing that I can't stand. I don't even have a reason for disliking it - I just can't get over it when pit members are head-bobbing with big grins on their faces. I really hope it's not a trend that continues.

yeah, it sucks to see kids having a good time while performing ( insert sarcasm).

it's considered a way to keep time within the ensemble without having to vocalize like a battery or even brass does with dhuts. Some surely overdo it with the smiles, and some kids emote, but I can think of maybe once I've ever heard it mentioned on a visual tape.

since the FE derives time by listening back, usually one member is considered "the center" and will pulse/bob/emote/groove, and the rest will follow

• Like 1

Yea, no kidding. I must have really insulted the guy (I think he had a relative or child playing in a pit, but I don't recall) because he fired off some invectives and highly critical comments to me. I had never heard the term so did, and do, doubt its "official" use as a thing. Rather, I think this kind of false emoting will die a quick and uneventful death. It can't be taught well, it can't possibly keep time across thirty yards if the players can't get the tempo from the conductor right in front of them, and the pit is not the place for story-telling beyond exceptional arranging and execution. IMO, that is, and I hope I didn't insult anyone else.

You'd be amazed at how it can help timing my padawan learner.As I said, some do overdo it, but it has a useful purpose.

I have no idea how judges judge " pulsing " in the pit, but I will support proper pulsing from the pit till I draw my last pulse.

if I'm on percussion upstairs, and something sounds out of whack, the first thing I'd do is look around...is someone not moving in time? From upstairs that's easier to spot than the hands. Just like if something in the battery sounds off, the first place I'll look is the feet...is someone out of step? If I'm on the field, and it's being overdone, it's easy to call out if it's causing issues in attacks and releases.About 9 years ago that happened, and I was all over it. The next week I saw them again at championships, and the body english was much more controlled....and as a result the performance was incredibly better.

if I'm on effect, and it's being overdone, i'll mention it. You can oversell a show

• Like 1