JOBE-THIRDCOAST

Third Coast, I am happy for you and your crew trying to bring some fresh blood to DCA. I may be missing something here but it seems like other people want to crush you before you even get started. This is why DCA seems to be losing ground and why these message boards are getting sparsely populated. I hate to be mr happy happy only postive but I think you were slammed pretty harsly here

Third Coast, I am happy for you and your crew trying to bring some fresh blood to DCA. I may be missing something here but it seems like other people want to crush you before you even get started. This is why DCA seems to be losing ground and why these message boards are getting sparsely populated. I hate to be mr happy happy only postive but I think you were slammed pretty harsly here

Just speaking for myself....

I don't think anyone wants to crush anyone. We all welcome startups/new ventures/new blood, whatever you want to call them.

Just that the way the OP worded the original posts, it sounded like all coy "will we or won't we" hype and nothing else.

If the post was "So-and-so has announced plans to field a (mini-corps, brass ensemble, Class A corps, whatever), and (the new corps) plans to attend DCA championship weekend"... we'd all be applauding the effort and welcoming the new corps to the scene.

But instead we got "well.... maybe this, maybe that... we'll see what DCA has to offer us" stuff. Enough of that BS. You're in, or you're out.

Again, just my opinion here.

Geez, I am getting old. LOL. Might be time for a new hobby. :tongue:

• Like 3

Looks like some information is starting to come out, and I believe DCA may be the focus for 2016.

I will keep you posted.

Smile

Hey fran, my original plan was just to keep people informed and maybe get some excitement going. That was it, just so you know we never get old. imo

t- very cool post, I have been here on DCP for a long time, I try not to rage anymore, I thought about it.

Na.

We have rehearsal next week and I should have all the info I need. We paid to be in the mini corps show, we were invited to the spectacular but had arisen about a hotel and having to stay there (a demand ). No word from DCA at all that I have heard of yet, I don't even know if it would be an option.

I do know that I am playing everyday

Georgia

Naval Hymn

Salvation is Created

Legend of the One Eyed Sailor

Ice Castles(Madison Scouts 1980 Jim Ott score)

Oh, and just so you know

The 2016 Madison Scouts are about to hit the country with

Judas- The music of Jesus Christ Superstar

Yep, life is good

Peace

Hey fran, my original plan was just to keep people informed and maybe get some excitement going. That was it, just so you know we never get old. imo

t- very cool post, I have been here on DCP for a long time, I try not to rage anymore, I thought about it.

Na.

We have rehearsal next week and I should have all the info I need. We paid to be in the mini corps show, we were invited to the spectacular but had arisen about a hotel and having to stay there (a demand ). No word from DCA at all that I have heard of yet, I don't even know if it would be an option.

I do know that I am playing everyday

Georgia

Naval Hymn

Salvation is Created

Legend of the One Eyed Sailor

Ice Castles(Madison Scouts 1980 Jim Ott score)

Oh, and just so you know

The 2016 Madison Scouts are about to hit the country with

Judas- The music of Jesus Christ Superstar

Yep, life is good

Peace

If you guys do get to DCA, I look forward to seeing you. If not this year, perhaps someday!!!

Fran hit one of the nails on the head. Well said, Fran.

I also think perhaps some people may not be as sensitive to where Jim Ott stands with many of us in the community and why several people here circled the wagons. I think they might have misunderstood a bit.

I remember coming to practice as a young man and being told about the accident the day after it happened. In that era- for word to have spread that fast tells you something- especially since it even hit the DCA corps that fast. We were incredulous, and very upset at Westshore.

We listened to his charts a lot BITD. They combined excitement along with a lot of meaty intellectual writing that just happened to be in the arrangement, not blatant- but there like a fine tailored suit as compared to a lot of what else was out there at the time. They inspired a lot of us.

Not well known is that some of the best writing for the Cabs in the early 80's came from Jim. The 1981 Cabs show is out there online, find it and listen- quite a bit of it's Jim's work. Same for 1980 IIRC.

I still come across HS bands trying to play the published charts that he wrote for HS bands now and again. I wish I had 2 hours to work with all of them after I hear them- they just... don't...remotely... get what's in there. That usually includes the staff. They think if they just blow black notes on white paper these charts work or something like that.... it's not that simple.

I think that's part of why some of the folks here get concerned.

On the plus side, there are groups like the Hanover Lancers who play "Old Man River", which Frank Dorritie tweaked just a little bit for them with the permission and blessing of the Ott Estate. That and Frank's chart of "Men of Harlech" that he arranged for them are the best things they do, period. They make sure it's done right and well.

A lot of Ott's charts are, for a lack of a better way to put it- sacred literature to the corps community. They're still exciting, fun, and thoughtful. Folks still love 'em. No one who knows these charts likes hearing them done cut-rate or shabby. It worries them deeply if that might happen.

To me, playing those charts comes with a certain sense of responsibility. If I were teaching or performing them with any group I was involved with, I'd feel that weight on my shoulders and I'd make sure the weight never left them.

Just an aside on that thought- the translated lyrics of "Salvation is Created":

"Salvation is made in the midst of the earth, O God. Alleluia."

When you play that chart, people need to feel that and understand that when you play it- without ever knowing those lyrics. :wink:

All I know is that I'd like to see JOBE/T do well, and for it to be successful- again, no one wants this stuff played badly. I think that's why some folks have been concerned here, and not trying to be hatin'.

....................I remember coming to practice as a young man and being told about the accident the day after it happened. In that era- for word to have spread that fast tells you something- especially since it even hit the DCA corps that fast. We were incredulous, and very upset at Westshore.

With the passing of Jim the activity certainly lost a great deal; almost too much to imagine.

It should be noted in addition to Jim's passing, another person was terribly injured in the accident which altered his life's path and I sense the betterment of the activity as well---Lloyd Pesola.

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

I remember we also found out about Lloyd as well. I didn't want to misspell his last name.

There's a tape online of Lloyd judging Spirit at Finals I believe around 1979- the right search should find it on YT.

Pure respect is given every time we get together. Meeting and performing with his sister Bonnie was just icing on the cake. This was our third performance of DCI week in 2015. We did the hall of fame ceremony, DCI Semi finals, and of course Soundsport. The members are from all over the country set up in a pretty cool fashion,

West-JOBE the original

East-JOBE Ohio

Midwest-JOBE thirdcoast

If you all get a chance check out the semi finals performance, we were pretty large.

Having fun, looking for opportunities.

Peace

JB-Madison Jr Scouts 82,83

Madison Scouts 84,85,86,87,88,89

Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project

Madison Scouts Alumni performance group

JOBE-2015,2016

I play low brass.

I remember we also found out about Lloyd as well. I didn't want to misspell his last name.

Lloyd's last name is spelled Pesola. We've been very good and close friends since the very early 60's when we marched together in our hometown corps; good times then and way well beyond---although we haven't seen each other face to face in a couple years due to geography, etc..........he's a good man.