Underprivileged drum corps kid out there?

Although I've had siblings and their familes live in Indy over the years, I am not by any means an expert on Indy demographics. The OP wanted suggestions.

Perhaps you might make some to him as well. Maybe it might even prompt some more to step up and be so generous and thoughtful as the OP. Wish I were in the situation where I could.

You are right that there are people in need in every community. Not taking anything away. Might was well just throw a dart at a map. :D

I live in Indiana and had already directly messaged the OP with individuals in mind. As OP requested. :thumbup:

Edited by mingusmonk

Hi all,

I don't mean to be self-righteous about this...but I have been given some free DCI tickets to Finals in Indianapolis (I already have my own set)...at least Finals, possibly Semi-Finals too...

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone ... a kid and his or her parent who might not be able to otherwise go to Finals who would love to go if they were given a free ticket? Like maybe someone from the inner city or just a family who doesn't have the money and won't go unless given the opportunity.

Please reply with your PRIVATE email if you know of someone and I'll email you back privately.

Chris

Absolutely nothing self-righteous about this......very cool that you are doing this.

Don't see anyone who's mentioned it yet but you could contact a drum corps directly; they certainly know the parents of their members.

Also, if you don't make a direct gift to a family, suggest to the drum corps that they could use the tickets in a raffle and maybe make a couple-hundred bucks. That way your gift helps a whole bunch of kids (not that your plan doesn't have merit). A few hundred dollars from raffling a set of tickets will buy fresh fruit for a corps for a week on tour.

The directors of the corps I support never cease to share stories with me of talented kids whose parents can't afford to support their kids. Your tickets and a little creativity to get a travel package put together, is the last connection the activity has to supporting kids who otherwise wouldn't have a chance.

See if you can find a way to duplicate or leverage your good fortune of the gift.

And good for you for the idea.

Edited by garfield

Along these lines, does DCI have a concerted effort to make tickets available whose costs are covered through donations? I may or may not fund the cost of a full ticket, but I'd definitely donate to such a program.