What to expect in a DCI/DCA season?

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

It was a pleasant surprise to me that the Oscars gave Leonard Nimoy the pride of final placement in the "In Memoriam" tribute.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Im marching my first season this summer with Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps, hopefully. What are things that I should expect/know that will help my season a lot? Im usually shy, so its not super easy for me to mingle. The only person I know in the corps is my girlfriend and one other mellophone.

You're in a new situation. Take advantage of it. You state you're usually shy and not easy to mingle. Well, no one will know that. Push yourself to overcome those things. Be who you want to be. No one will ever know the difference. Heck, if you've ever wanted to be referred to by a nickname, pick one for yourself and others will assume that's who you've always been! :)

Actually, don't be surprised if you "earn" a nickname anyway!. Drum corps just has a way of doing that.

You'll learn that there is hardly anything that can't be said or done. You'll grow a tolerant skin. That's good. You'll learn to appreciate diversity in many ways. That's good.

Be positive. Don't be overbearing. Evaluate the landscape and learn from others. You'll find a way to become part of the team. If you have an opportunity to take some leadership roles, do it. You'll find many others just like yourself. It's easy to assume that you're in the minority in shyness and uneasiness to mingle with others. You may be surprised to learn that many others are just like you. So, step out of your comfort zone and extend yourself to others and you may just be surprised how much you'll grow as a person.

have fun with it. thats a great group down there. Be serious when you need to be, kick back when you can. Be prepared. and everything everyone else said

• Like 1

Edited by NotSoMello