Classic Show Swap

Not sure if this has been discussed, but let's give it a try.

Here are the basic guidelines:

1) Corps must play a "classic" show (we'll give a bit of flexibility with classic)

2) It must be another group's "classic" show

3) All the shows can not be from the same 2 or 3 groups

For example:

Phantom doing SCV's 1992 Fiddler on the Roof

Bluecoats doing BD's 1986 show (Channel One Suite, Conquistador, Spanish Fantasy and Chick Corea Suite)

the Cadets doing Cavies 1992 Revolution and Triumph

Crossmen doing Bluecoats 2010 Metropolis

SCV doing Phantom's 1996 A Defiant Heart

Crown doing the Cadets 1984 West Side Story

I think by description a 'classic' show has an element of timelessness about it. Say SCV 89, Madison 96, BD 92, Cadets 84, Phantom's better years...they fewer design tools, but they don't feel dusty, so I have no urge to see them redone.

Rather it's the near-classics I'd like to see redone. particularly, and I was having this discussion with a guy a few days ago so this topic is relevant, the 90 BD show, 'Tommy.' i recall really digging it, but now I'm only so-so on the show a whole. The drums are killer, the soloists have sick moments, it has a good end and feature...but I like it less now than previously. It needs a more engaging opener, 'pinball wizard' needs more Rock and less Swing. And though I'm not usually one for 'set dressing,' playing 'Tommy' i'd be all for filling the field with lights and props and dressing. Now that we've seen modern showmanship via staging, this shows lack of such elements really makes it feel less impressive.

which is a long roundabout way of saying 'I want somebody else to do 'Tommy.' Crown and Coats seem the obvious choice, but Knights or Stars could do a solid showing.

I think by description a 'classic' show has an element of timelessness about it. Say SCV 89, Madison 96, BD 92, Cadets 84, Phantom's better years...they fewer design tools, but they don't feel dusty, so I have no urge to see them redone.

Rather it's the near-classics I'd like to see redone. particularly, and I was having this discussion with a guy a few days ago so this topic is relevant, the 90 BD show, 'Tommy.' i recall really digging it, but now I'm only so-so on the show a whole. The drums are killer, the soloists have sick moments, it has a good end and feature...but I like it less now than previously. It needs a more engaging opener, 'pinball wizard' needs more Rock and less Swing. And though I'm not usually one for 'set dressing,' playing 'Tommy' i'd be all for filling the field with lights and props and dressing. Now that we've seen modern showmanship via staging, this shows lack of such elements really makes it feel less impressive.

which is a long roundabout way of saying 'I want somebody else to do 'Tommy.' Crown and Coats seem the obvious choice, but Knights or Stars could do a solid showing.

I've always wanted to see a modern version of Tommy as well. I think Madison, with Boerma back writing, would be a blast to see.

*yawn*

Give me something new and innovative. If I want to watch an old show, I'll get out my DVDs.

Now that we have the mandatory 'on to the future the past sucks' post out of the way and after I get BD’s Tommy was a big disappointment then and now out of the way

Often, this topic ends up with the same corps swapping shows due to similar corps styles. I’d rather take a show and inflict it on a corps that would never do it ..SCV doing Surf’s bridgemania, Blue Knights doing Sky Ryders Song of Music

I would love to see what Cadets would do with BD 1998 or maybe Methods of Madness.

I would also love to see BD do their 85 show.

I would love to see Jersey Surf do 87 VK!