Worst Top 12 Corps Ever!

If my research is correct, while Spirit did place 6th in their second season of DCI competition in 1978, in their first year 1977 they placed 23rd; so they too had humble beginnings. As for Star, yep they were an exception placing 10th their first year in 1985. But to me the real exception, as it applies to the DCI top 12 era, is SCV who placed 3rd in 1972 which was also the inaugural season for DCI.

Yeah, but at that time, wasn't 23rd place the best any "brand-spanking-new" corps had ever done (until Memphis Blues three years later (20th), and then, of course, freakin' Star of Indiana :-P )? That's the story I've heard since i was in high school.

Yeah, but at that time, wasn't 23rd place the best any "brand-spanking-new" corps had ever done (until Memphis Blues three years later (20th), and then, of course, freakin' Star of Indiana :-P )? That's the story I've heard since i was in high school.

As Ed McMahon used to say...

"You are correct, sir!"

How have the Blue Devils not been mentioned? They were 24th in 1973, and 1st in 1976. If that isn't improvement from the bottom, I don't know what is.

I think it's because 24th was still DCI membership, and being in the top 25 ALWAYS meant you were a pretty decent corps.

Since 48 corps competed at DCI that year, it still meant they were in the top half. I saw BD in '73 and they definitely were not a bad corps.

Blue Devils have never really been "bad". Heck, they even won the very first contest they appeared in back in 1971.

Edited by Northern Thunder

1. 1980 SCV 7th 85.60

2. 1978 Cavaliers 16th 78.30

3. 1972 Madison 14th 77.45

4. 1974 Cadets 19th 75.15

5. 1975 Crossmen 24th 68.80

6. 1973 Blue devils 23rd 66.10

7. 1972 Phantom 23rd 64.400

8. 1990 Crown 33rd 58.60

9. 1982 Blue Stars 37th 53.10

10. 1980 -Bluecoats 38th 52.05

11. 1973 Boston 39th 51.85

12. 1983 Blue Knights 31st 51.70

• Like 2

As Ed McMahon used to say...

"You are correct, sir!"

But in this case Ed McMahon would be 'incorrect'! The Bleu Raeders were chartered in 1971, that is true, but they did not compete in any shows. Their first year of competitive performance (as a brand-spanking-new corps) was 1972. And in only their 18th performance they placed 12th in the 1972 DCI Finals. That makes them the highest placing brand-spanking-new corps in DCI until Star placed 10th in their first year.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

But in this case Ed McMahon would be 'incorrect'! The Bleu Raeders were chartered in 1971, that is true, but they did not compete in any shows. Their first year of competitive performance (as a brand-spanking-new corps) was 1972. And in only their 18th performance they placed 12th in the 1972 DCI Finals. That makes them the highest placing brand-spanking-new corps in DCI until Star placed 10th in their first year.

The Bleu Raeders were NOT a new corps in '72. They were an off-shoot (with many of the instructors and members) from the Arabi Stardusters. The Stardusters were left with the weak segment of the breakup, and they only appeared in 2 contests the whole year.

The strong portion was re-named the Bleu Raeders. The Bleu Raeders were 1st at the American Legion Nationals prelims, while the Stardusters were 34th!

I had a great visit with their director in '72 and he told me the whole story.

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1

There was a question on a thread today July 2 2016. The question was 'When was the last time a corps' score changed 8.7 pts. in one day?' I remember a few fluctuations in the 1970's. Other than the infamous 13 point penalty for being late, were there other swings in scores? Thanking you in advance Brian. I'm offline for a while.

The Bleu Raeders were NOT a new corps in '72. They were an off-shoot (with many of the instructors and members) from the Arabi Stardusters. The Stardusters were left with the weak segment of the breakup, and they only appeared in 2 contests the whole year.

The strong portion was re-named the Bleu Raeders. The Bleu Raeders were 1st at the American Legion Nationals prelims, while the Stardusters were 34th!

I had a great visit with their director in '72 and he told me the whole story.

If that is your criteria then Star of Indiana was not 'technically' a new corps either. Star had an influx of money from Bill Cook to begin their 'Charter' in 1984; but for their first year of DCI competition in 1985 they actually pulled most of their performing members directly from a corps which had folded at the end of 1984, Pride of Cincinnati if I remember correctly, as well as many of the 1985 Star staff was pulled from the Bridgemen. So, using your Bleu Raeders reasoning, while the Star 'Charter' would be considered new in 1985, the actual corps and staff were far from being new..

If that is your criteria then Star of Indiana was not 'technically' a new corps either. Star had an influx of money from Bill Cook to begin their 'Charter' in 1984; but for their first year of DCI competition in 1985 they actually pulled most of their performing members directly from a corps which had folded at the end of 1984, Pride of Cincinnati if I remember correctly, as well as many of the 1985 Star staff was pulled from the Bridgemen. So, using your Bleu Raeders reasoning, while the Star 'Charter' would be considered new in 1985, the actual corps and staff were far from being new..

No. Star WAS a brand new corps. Bleu Raeders were a new name for the remnants of an old corps.