DCA Williamsport Show Thread

Long Island?? No thank you!

This area and host group has extensive experience in hosting a World Championship event, the Little Leauge World Series, which is a WHOLE lot bigger then the DCA Championship.I'm told they are expanding some of the stadium before the championships move there in two years. Also the corps will NOT be forced to rent hotel rooms as part of the contract like in the past, a HUGE financial savings for corps and members. The area schools will be available for corps to house members if they want to forego a hotel for the weekend, THAT alone is a big reason moving the show here in the future. Plenty of affordable hotels and restaurants in close proximity and a group that will do ANYTHING to make sure the corps and fans have a positive experience for championships. And let's be honest, Not too many groups were courting the DCA with a proposal. This is a win for the circuit in so many ways!

Great points, Jay.

Sure seems that Williamsport is really rolling out the red carpet for DCA. That, right there, is half the battle.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I do hope it works because let's be honest, DCA can't afford for it to fail. But you're at the mercy of public funds, so let's see what gets done

The public funding thing is always a concern. That's the other half of the battle. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

Anyhow.... 2018 is a ways down the road.

I'm just trying to survive 2016... if that happens, I'll go from there. LOL.

• Like 1

The one acoustic issue some corps will have to consider is that the back stands are small and there's no wall. Playing backfield gets you no acoustic halo effect like you'll get at Hershey for instance.

Nah, there's a nice reflection. It's not as pronounced as in other venues but it's there. Right behind the backside bleachers is a nice hill. The back-field stuff Cabs plays reflected nicely in there yesterday and today.

For the Cabs, sure, John. For a couple, it wasn't as sweet as the arrangers intended it to be.

Five gets you ten those lines are doing the same 10 degree horn lift they do facing forward. Gotta go to parallel and minimum dynamic of F.

• Like 1

Long Island?? No thank you!

This area and host group has extensive experience in hosting a World Championship event, the Little Leauge World Series, which is a WHOLE lot bigger then the DCA Championship.I'm told they are expanding some of the stadium before the championships move there in two years. Also the corps will NOT be forced to rent hotel rooms as part of the contract like in the past, a HUGE financial savings for corps and members. The area schools will be available for corps to house members if they want to forego a hotel for the weekend, THAT alone is a big reason moving the show here in the future. Plenty of affordable hotels and restaurants in close proximity and a group that will do ANYTHING to make sure the corps and fans have a positive experience for championships. And let's be honest, Not too many groups were courting the DCA with a proposal. This is a win for the circuit in so many ways!

Long Island would be an excellent site if a concerted effort could be organized to support such an undertaking. There ARE a couple of great locations, Stony Brook being one of them, that would served DCA well. That, plus great restaurants, the beaches etc. would provide plenty of non-drum corps entertainment. Having said that, Williamsport has the desire and great people backing their show and I and the Sunrisers look forward to competing their in 2018 and 2019!

• Like 2

Williamsport has the desire and great people backing their show and I and the Sunrisers look forward to competing their in 2018 and 2019!

I don't think folks on here (and Facebook) fully understand how much the folks putting in the bid, and the city of Williamsport, want to not only hold this event, but make it truly great. I've been to a lot of drum corps shows over the years, and few come anywhere close to being as well run as Saturday's show was. They had a stadium evacuation plan in place long before they needed it, and it was the smoothest evacuation and repopulation of a stadium I've ever seen.

Is Williamsport perfect? No. But these guys have good answers to the questions folks will ask, and I really like what they are planning. I've heard some folks are bitter that there will be no beer sales at the stadium. I'm disappointed too, but if that is a deal-breaker in your decision making process on wether to attend or not, you should probably take a break and consider your life's choices :)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1