Judging/Scoring Tutorial?

On 6/5/2017 at 5:56 AM, xandandl said:

no, cost-benefit analysis

All your other points I agree with completely.

I sit corrected!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 11:55 PM, Stu said:

Clete Blakeman, Jeff Rice, Wayne Mackie, Rusty Baynes, Boris Cheek, Scott Edwards and Kieth Ferguson (all combined) made far less in 2016 than just one person: Peyton Manning.  In fact they were the least paid individuals of all who were on the field actually engaging in every play during Super Bowl 50. Who were they? The Referee Crew. It is the nature of the beast in all major competitions not just DCI.

I don't disagree with you at all, but the analogy to sports officiating may be less germane than with judges in other artistic/entertainment ventures, where the remuneration is a bit more substantive.  I have much respect for sports officials - my father was one.  But what the best pageantry judges do is at a higher level of conceptual, artistic, and diagnostic responsibilities than any zebra - Although a post-SB Officials Critique might have been must-see TV!  You think Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, et. al. are taking a net loss judging?  Van Cliburn Piano Competition Judges?  Yes, this is an amateur youth activity, but, IMO, the judges are constantly being asked for more expertise and responsibilities in skills, service, and logistics while being "handled" at a much lower level of priority.

The number of highly-qualified people to adjudicate at the highest level is small.  Sorry to be redundant, but I have a hard time with the fact that the Judging Panel for DCI Finals is paid 1/3 of what a judge at a BOA REGIONAL gets.  American Drum Corps is well-known for being the most judge-unfriendly activity out there.

Bottom-line: it's a great activity, but scrimping on the judging components seems short-sighted to me.  Reminds me of what's going on in public education.

Edited by Schnitzel
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

I don't disagree with you at all, but the analogy to sports officiating may be less germane than with judges in other artistic/entertainment ventures, where the remuneration is a bit more substantive.  I have much respect for sports officials - my father was one.  But what the best pageantry judges do is at a higher level of conceptual, artistic, and diagnostic responsibilities than any zebra - Although a post-SB Officials Critique might have been must-see TV!  You think Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, et. al. are taking a net loss judging?  Van Cliburn Piano Competition Judges?  Yes, this is an amateur youth activity, but, IMO, the judges are constantly being asked for more expertise and responsibilities in skills, service, and logistics while being "handled" at a much lower level of priority.

The number of highly-qualified people to adjudicate at the highest level is small.  Sorry to be redundant, but I have a hard time with the fact that the Judging Panel for DCI Finals is paid 1/3 of what a judge at a BOA REGIONAL gets.  American Drum Corps is well-known for being the most judge-unfriendly activity out there.

Bottom-line: it's a great activity, but scrimping on the judging components seems short-sighted to me.  Reminds me of what's going on in public education.

a) The revenue for DCI pales n comparison, I mean not even in the same universe, to the revenue that pours in for the programs Blake Shelton and Gwen Setani are associated with.  I do not even have any expectations that DCI would pay judges anywhere close to what the NFL pays the Refs.  All I was pointing out was that in any competitive activity, even those which rake in the billions of dollars, judges are the least paid who are on the field of competition.

b)  if DCI was a for-profit, high money-making, competitive organizational body and not able to secure the highest quality adjudicators in the world such as Jeff Prosperie and Albert Lo you may have some semblance of a case.  But… since DCI is a youth non-profit, and they already are securing the highest quality adjudicators, what purpose would it serve to place even more of a financial burden on DCI by increasing judge’s salaries/perks to the level you advocate?

c) As for your contemtion that 'Pageantry Judges' are required to do their craft at a higher level than NFL Referees, MLB Umpires, etc...  :doh: Uhhhh.. on better judgement I just retracted what I originally typed..