Tradition or Competition

Competitive Success or Tradition  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather your favorite corps do some rather non traditional thing and then find great competitive success or have them stick to tradition where they won't improve their placement but they also won't drop down in placements, I know this isn't a real binary but for the sake of argument.

• Tradition
    • Competitive success

A slightly amended version of the question......

Tradition, competitive success or......innovation?

It's a balancing act of innovating within the boundaries of your existing traditions/essence to maintain your identity which will create & maintain the appeal for sustained, strong interest in joining a particular corp which ultimately leads to highly competitive unit.  (Run-on sentence acknowledged.:12_slight_smile:)

I think it's the mix of both that matter to me, with varying weights. Isn't it part of what makes the creative part of music and arts grab at us is that there aren't clean ways to label or categorize what's needed at any point in time? Someone (or some few) somewhere has a vision, pursues it relentlessly, excites and motivates others to follow - and they get it right and we're thrilled. This can't be easily - or maybe accurately is better - critically analyzed. Even prompting more innovation is almost an empty idea, since we can't agree on what is truly innovative and since plenty of new, innovative things just fall flat. (True for drum corps as well as anything else.)

This current wave toward WGI decoration, stunts, and unproductive prancing produces some good shows. Along with some really forgettable shows. There were both back in the day.

It might also mean that some corps will be able to wow us with a return to something more traditional. (Nostalgic, even.) In a way, I just felt this when I saw DB's opening this year. Given all the messes on the field as everyone plays follow the current trend, it was refreshing to see BD's take on a company front, on plain, all-corps drill out in the open without scaffolding, and on a guard working in synch. That was exciting.

3 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I think it's the mix of both that matter to me, with varying weights. Isn't it part of what makes the creative part of music and arts grab at us is that there aren't clean ways to label or categorize what's needed at any point in time? Someone (or some few) somewhere has a vision, pursues it relentlessly, excites and motivates others to follow - and they get it right and we're thrilled. This can't be easily - or maybe accurately is better - critically analyzed. Even prompting more innovation is almost an empty idea, since we can't agree on what is truly innovative and since plenty of new, innovative things just fall flat. (True for drum corps as well as anything else.)

This current wave toward WGI decoration, stunts, and unproductive prancing produces some good shows. Along with some really forgettable shows. There were both back in the day.

It might also mean that some corps will be able to wow us with a return to something more traditional. (Nostalgic, even.) In a way, I just felt this when I saw DB's opening this year. Given all the messes on the field as everyone plays follow the current trend, it was refreshing to see BD's take on a company front, on plain, all-corps drill out in the open without scaffolding, and on a guard working in synch. That was exciting.

I meant to make a better connection to the binary question:

Given all those words above, if Madison dumps the traditional uniform for a few years (or its company front), no problem with me. Especially if they are really good at whatever they choose to do.

When they bring back that old Scouts look, we'll love it. Especially if they give us a killer update to MacArthur Park...

• Like 1

My POV is this:  A good show is a good show.  Trombone, spandex  and props may or may not be present.   Every good show has multiple moments when you're thinking, unequivocally, that the corps is performing their butts off and you are stunned at the execution.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

while I am all for progress like some uniforms how in the world can you justify a half deranged color blind ice skater costume that totally clashes all over the place?

I'm sorry sweety pie your designs look like garbage and you turned a great drum corps into a laughing stock.  well there are a few actually but someone has to tell these program coordinators they have NO TASTE!

My most sincere apologies to all the alumni I made fun of when their corps went full on figure skater.  I feel your pain now.

give me the strength to accept the things I can not change and when to know to just walk T/F away.

SMH

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I meant to make a better connection to the binary question:

Given all those words above, if Madison dumps the traditional uniform for a few years (or its company front), no problem with me. Especially if they are really good at whatever they choose to do.

When they bring back that old Scouts look, we'll love it. Especially if they give us a killer update to MacArthur Park...

Soprano soloist is my new hero.

8 minutes ago, monoemono said:

Soprano soloist is my new hero.

And no mic.