SCV and BD in top 2...really?!!

1 minute ago, Everyfan said:

And just one more time...the caption is visual, not marching. How did you count coordinated body movement while playing? Personally, I think walking (marching) and playing is often easier than dancing or whatever the hell they are doing at times.

I did not count fluid body movements for either as marching and playing, as it is not more difficult to do fluid body movements while playing. It's essentially exactly the same as standing in place.

The parts where either corps would move forward/backwards from a dot to another dot were counted. (ie: when BD is in the Diamond shaped set in the opener and moves the diamond in a ripple forward and to their right) The body movements/squats/etc each corps does during their ballad, were not counted.

3 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

But, you know, you seem to want to stick to facts, not opinion. If we take your numbers as facts:

BD standing in place and playing: 2 minutes 51 seconds

SCV standing in place and playing: 3 minutes 12 seconds

I stated a fact, you can easily go over to youtube and watch both shows from nightbeat last night for yourself.

Vanguard also marches and plays for 1 minute and 5 seconds LONGER than BD. So you can have that 21 seconds of park and bark if that's what you want to call it.

Edited by Treefidy

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I did not count fluid body movements for either as marching and playing, as it is not more difficult to do fluid body movements while playing. It's essentially exactly the same as standing in place.

The parts where either corps would move forward/backwards from a dot to another dot were counted. (ie: when BD is in the Diamond shaped set in the opener and moves the diamond in a ripple forward and to their right) The body movements/squats/etc each corps does during their ballad, were not counted.

So, basically, you ignore a HUGE component of "visual performance" in your review.

Just now, Everyfan said:

So, basically, you ignore a HUGE component of "visual performance" in your review.

Once again, it is visual, not marching. Marching your ### of for 12 minutes still only shows one skill. They are being evaluated on a variety of skills (both when playing or not).

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

I stated a fact, you can easily go over to youtube and watch both shows from nightbeat last night for yourself.

Vanguard also marches and plays for 1 minute and 5 seconds LONGER than BD. So you can have that 21 seconds of park and bark if that's what you want to call it.

Well, shoot. We just need to replace the panel with a stopwatch!

FYI: Playing and marching ain't all that hard, and even when it is, it certainly isn't the only form of demand. 

But yea, stopwatch.

• Like 3

Just now, Everyfan said:

I'm not reviewing anything. I'm timing specific categories. Swaying while playing is not comparable to marching while playing. It's that simple...

Just now, Kamarag said:

Well, shoot. We just need to replace the panel with a stopwatch!

FYI: Playing and marching ain't all that hard, and even when it is, it certainly isn't the only form of demand. 

But yea, stopwatch.

I agree that marching and playing in the late 70's, early 80's was not that hard...

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I agree that marching and playing in the late 70's, early 80's was not that hard...

It's not that had now. And like i said, even when it is, it's absolutely not the *only* form of "hard". The only folks that truly believe marching and playing is super-hard are the ones that haven't been exposed to the other stuff.

Just now, Kamarag said:

It's not that had now. And like i said, even when it is, it's absolutely not the *only* form of "hard". The only folks that truly believe marching and playing is super-hard are the ones that haven't been exposed to the other stuff.

I've definitely been exposed to other stuff. Marching and playing at anything over 6 to 5, or 8 to 5's at high tempos while props are moving around you and playing a DCI top 12 hornbook, is extremely difficult. Lunges, squats, plies, and swaying of any sort, are EXTREMELY simple to do while playing, no matter WHAT you are playing.

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I've definitely been exposed to other stuff. Marching and playing at anything over 6 to 5, or 8 to 5's at high tempos while props are moving around you and playing a DCI top 12 hornbook, is extremely difficult. Lunges, squats, plies, and swaying of any sort, are EXTREMELY simple to do while playing, no matter WHAT you are playing.

Except that marching is what we were all trained to do for months and years before making a top corps. Many of the other movements (especially in unison or a coordinated cascade timing) are much more unnatural to brass players.