Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

A) It is still very rare to go to the video challenge so overwhelmingly the majority of calls are subjective, but more importantly, B) You did not address my ump to ump strick zone variation. How is that possible if the rules sheet is clear?

I have been screaming to go to the computer strike zone for ages, but baseball is a sport with very few young sensibilities. There are still old men who hate the wild card.

Just now, ContraFart said:

But critique won't change the score

That is correct.  But it's the current venue that allows units to challenge their score, ask questions, and request feedback.  A lot of questioning and dialogue happens during these valuable minutes.

15 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Thank you for trying to put words in my mouth.

Sorry, so can you see and evaluate everything going on in all that layering over the entire field during any performance?

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

That is correct.  But it's the current venue that allows units to challenge their score, ask questions, and request feedback.  A lot of questioning and dialogue happens during these valuable minutes.

But is critique for the competitive aspect or the educational aspect?

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I have been screaming to go to the computer strike zone for ages, but baseball is a sport with very few young sensibilities. There are still old men who hate the wild card.

Why stop with eliminating the humaness of umpiring?  Let's move the entire game of baseball into the vertural world of computer controlled action until such a time we have robotics with A.I. that can also replace the players.

• Like 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

Sorry I don't mean to sound pedantic or rude, but have you participated in critique before?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sorry, so can you see and evaluate everything going on in all that layering over the entire field during any performance?

It depends.  Sometimes I can scan and evaluate close to 99% and sometimes less.  I've been trained to scan, but I presume many have not.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Why stop with eliminating the humaness of umpiring?  Let's move the entire game of baseball into the vertural world of computer controlled action until such a time we have robotics with A.I. that can also replace the players.

Because when pitchers throws a strike it should be a strike in the same way a 19.6 should be a 19.6. When you give deference to superstars (which happens to be the biggest argument in pro sports and in the same way in DCI) it eliminates the integrity of the results.

1 minute ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Sometimes I can scan and evaluate close to 99% and sometimes less.  I've been trained to scan, but I presume many have not.

So when you scan to the stage right 15 yard line action, you are also focused at the same time on the stage left 15 yard line action and thus 99% of the time you miss nothing and see everything?

5 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

In any case.  It's both.  

As said in my original post, I've had a notable unpleasant experience of the Chief Judge kicking out a very angry director of a unit due to their reaction in terms of competition.

I've also had the awful experience of [presumably] being the reason a former colleague cried because of my opinions regarding the educational aspect of the unit's students.

It's both.  A lot is discussed during the few minutes of critique.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

So when you scan to the stage right 15 yard line action, you are also focused at the same time on the stage left 15 yard line action and thus 99% of the time you miss nothing and see everything?

Depends on the show.  Depends on my caption.  Depends on how much coffee I've had and if people around me are being distracting.

You're a judge.

What do you think?