Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Fun fact, no human being can see and evaluate everything going on in all that layering over the entire field during any preference. Unless.... Are you someone who can?

Are you?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

The sheets do not judge, however people, professionals yes, but people utilizing 100% subjective observations writing down scores based on those sheets do judge. Name one competitive activity, just one, where the umpires, referees, judges, all agree on every call. I mean the rules for NFL, MLB, Olympic Ice Dancing, DCI all have their sheets correct? So please name one competitive activity where the judges agree on every call.

Actually the human element is partially taken out of sports like football and baseball with instant replay. Its completely eliminated in tennis. The big sport with the most subjective referees is basketball and I have the same issues.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Actually the human element is partially taken out of sports like football and baseball with instant replay. Its completely eliminated in tennis. The big sport with the most subjective referees is basketball and I have the same issues.

Sorry but not true.a) many times in instant replay the video is inconclusive, so the default goes to the subjective call made on the field; and b) instant replay is very rarely used so the overwhelming calls on every sport are indeed subjective.

Also, why is it that baseball umpires all actually have different strike zones in which they call balls and strikes? Some are known as high strikers, some low, some outside, some inside. If it is objective on 'the rules sheet' why the variation ump to ump?

Edited by Stu

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope and neither are you.

Thank you for trying to put words in my mouth.  I didn't contend anything.

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Actually the human element is partially taken out of sports like football and baseball with instant replay. Its completely eliminated in tennis.

This is a whole separate topic.  You do bring up a good point, however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Sorry but not true.a) many times in instant replay the video is inconclusive, so the default goes to the subjective call made on the field; and b) instant replay is very rarely used so the overwhelming calls on every sport are indeed subjective.

The times when calls are inconclusive are rare and can be justified. If bad calls are made there is disciplinary action taken against the bad ref. The overwhelming calls made without the replay are pretty black and white. Also teams have the power to challenge calls they don't agree with. A luxury that DCI corps don't have.

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Also teams have the power to challenge calls they don't agree with. A luxury that DCI corps don't have.

The venue for that is critique.

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

The times when calls are inconclusive are rare and can be justified. If bad calls are made there is disciplinary action taken against the bad ref. The overwhelming calls made without the replay are pretty black and white. Also teams have the power to challenge calls they don't agree with. A luxury that DCI corps don't have.

A) It is still very rare to go to the video challenge so overwhelmingly the majority of calls are subjective, but more importantly, B) You did not address my ump to ump strike zone variation. How is that possible if the rules sheet is clear?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

The venue for that is critique.

But critique won't change the score