Just A Thought!

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The first thing to go will be the separate sheets.  All this fluff about DCA having some sort of unique brand of entertainment focus is baloney.  Entertaining - yes.  Unique - no.  Look at the shows.  They do the same kind of drum corps that DCI does. 

Can't really disagree with that. IMO, the show styles have been moving closer together.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing for DCA and its corps, that answer is well above my pay grade.  :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I recently saw a FB post talking about the days when "there were 30-40 corps"...I believe the poster meant at the championship.

Hmm. Let's let some facts get in the way:

From the DCA archives:

1964: No championships. Somewhere around 10-11 different corps came to various contests.

1965: 6 show up for Championships, 9 others went to various contests.

1966: 10 show up for Championships,  somewhere around 7 others come to other contests.

1967: 10 show up for prelims and finals, somewhere around 8 show up for other contests.

1968: Finally, the first prelims where more than 10 appear. 18 show up.

1969: 15

1970: 15

1971: 17

1972: 15

1973: 19

1974: 15

1975: 19

1976: 17

1977: 16

1978: 15

1979: 17

Need I go on, or have I established enough of a pattern?

Did the poster mean AL/VFW championships where everyone who could showed up with their Post corps... "From Umphunquee, Florida, representing Joe Hotdogonabun Post 34, the Florida Hot Dogs!" when he says 40 corps?

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Can't really disagree with that. IMO, the show styles have been moving closer together.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing for DCA and its corps, that answer is well above my pay grade.  :laughing:

The shows were actually pretty identical in music, arranging, and style when DCA started, Fran. They began to veer more visually in the late 70's, then the DCA corps started to try and emulate as best they could from then on. Having DCI designers/staff brought in also increased the influence. This isn't all Kaboom! This just happened!

30 minutes ago, BigW said:

Did the poster mean AL/VFW championships where everyone who could showed up with their Post corps... "From Umphunquee, Florida, representing Joe Hotdogonabun Post 34, the Florida Hot Dogs!" when he says 40 corps?

LOL!!!  heck... even in those days,  there were never even close to 30-40 senior corps at AL or VFW nats. (When there was a VFW title show for senior corps... that went away at some point.)

The junior-corps turnouts were much bigger... but even then, some years not a large number at all.

Sometimes, our memories are just that... memories. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL!!!  heck... even in those days,  there were never even close to 30-40 senior corps at AL or VFW nats. (When there was a VFW title show for senior corps... that went away at some point.)

The junior-corps turnouts were much bigger... but even then, some years not a large number at all.

Yep the history of Drum Corps book has the VFW and AL results (except for 1978 AL Sr results for some reason). Off the top of my head post WWII Sr max was low 20s. Early 1930s Sr had 50-60 as a max but corps weren’t even named then, just Post names.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

36 minutes ago, BigW said:

The shows were actually pretty identical in music, arranging, and style when DCA started, Fran. They began to veer more visually in the late 70's, then the DCA corps started to try and emulate as best they could from then on. Having DCI designers/staff brought in also increased the influence. This isn't all Kaboom! This just happened!

Good point... I guess I mean the overall vibe of the product.

Just my observation here, and again, whether this is good or bad I have no idea... but it seems the DCA corps have been moving away from the "personality" edge they once had on several of the oh-so-serious DCI units. (Obvious exceptions, like Bridgemen, Velvet Knights, etc.) 

And, current day, I'm finding that more and more of the DCI corps are beginning to show off their personality again. That's pretty cool to me.

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep the history of Drum Corps book has the VFW and AL results (except for 1978 AL Sr results for some reason). Off the top of my head post WWII Sr max was low 20s. Early 1930s Sr had 50-60 as a max but corps weren’t even named then, just Post names.

Yeah... I guess I shouldn't say never, but "rarely" instead.

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Good point... I guess I mean the overall vibe of the product.

Just my observation here, and again, whether this is good or bad I have no idea... but it seems the DCA corps have been moving away from the "personality" edge they once had on several of the oh-so-serious DCI units. (Obvious exceptions, like Bridgemen, Velvet Knights, etc.) 

And, current day, I'm finding that more and more of the DCI corps are beginning to show off their personality again. That's pretty cool to me.

They need to. Every corps has a brand, a vibe that connects them to their fans. Maybe not the uniform per se....

On that, while there were moments where the Bucs still had the Bucs sound, the feel, the visual look... huge paradigm shift there. I think I was a lot more comfortable with it than quite a few other folks. Not near as much a seismic shift over the past several seasons with the Cabs, where, to be frank, some of the reactions to it have made me want to crack some sense into some folks.

Bush found lightning in a bottle this season- on one hand, they did very much go back to what broke them out and set them apart in terms of the visual vibe and going out of the normal DCA orbit kind of show, yet it was very relevant to the activity today, and had the crowd wrapped up in it. If Bush can keep people and keep developing the feel they currently have... watch out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

A lot depended on where the championships were held that year. How hard it was for various corps to make that trip.

And yes, I would kill for that Florida Hot Dogs intro from you or Brandt Crocker. :biggrin:

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yeah... I guess I shouldn't say never, but "rarely" instead.

Well before our time anyway lol

• Like 1