What is old is new again?

17 hours ago, JT76 said:

***This is not an "old is better" or "new is better" debate. I like elements of both.***

I have thought this before, but just like with clothes, sayings, TV shows, music, etc. Things always run in circles. I came across some older shows (if you can call 90's and 00's old...), and wondered at some point would we see a shift to something "new" at some point as things continue to progress and change? What I mean by this is that everything reaches a max at some point and then you start looking for something different. I wonder at what point (if ever) we will see elements of design and music in drum corps pivot like that. Where things that marchers, designers, instructors, etc have never seen on the field live will become "fresh and new" to them and there will be elements of those things show back up in shows again. I am not saying revert back to a complete show like old school drum corps but elements that would be different from some of the trends now or in the future.

Again, not saying there is anything wrong with the shows today (or in the years past), just wondering if at some point we will see, for instance, props become so normal and maxed out in shows that to do something completely unique and different, we will see shows without props. Or,  will we ever see a visual show designed so focused on drill design that it resembles the early 90's Cavies or even early 00's Cavies. Those are just some thoughts and examples. Do circles of trends even run in designing competitive drum corps/marching shows?

sure. props got big for a while in the 80's, died dowb, came back in the 90's a little, died down, now back huge...and soon due to OSHA issues, they'll only get so crazy, and it'll die down

• Like 1

Interesting topic. Guess it's all circular: revolving yet evolving.

1 hit wonders and the- circles of our minds ...and drills

After a few viewing of the DVDs the past several weeks, I kept thinking that Babylon had the feel of an older show. There were big moments, some beautiful music that I can recall and follow even without a graduate degree in music, good synchronized movement, and even a moment of older-style drill near the end. All this was coherent and memorable. Many other shows are much more fuzzy in memory. I recall only a kind of mishmash of things.

• Like 1