Kingston, NY -Saturday, August 3

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You guys are lucky. You have places that sell actual German food up there. We have a HUGE German population because of the VW plant and yet, alas...not a single real German restraunt. My father was a chef so I can make the stuff. But sometimes I just wanna buy it. Our beer here kinda sucks too. /sigh

The immediate Baltimore metro area used to have more German places years ago, before I moved here. But not any more... even with the city's German roots from decades ago.

However, if you go about 40 minutes to an hour outside the city... some good ones. Prost, in Port Deposit, MD, is our favorite. It's run by a family who moved here from Bavaria. Great German food and beers!

1 hour ago, HBD said:

Super Duper is GREAT! Haven't braved the traffic on 95 to get one in a LOOOONNNG time. What should be a 10 minute drive would take about and hour these days, And no matter how good the dogs are, they aren't worth an hour in traffic!

Can you believe it's you and I talking about onions and hot dogs on a Kingston Show thread? Kingston was one of those special shows on the schedule , corps started making their "moves" at Kingston and here we are, talking about food.

Makes you wonder

😀

I hear that, my friend!!!  That was an iconic gig for many years. Not much "DCA buzz" these days, for various reasons I suppose.

Man.... we stopped at Super Duper about 1:30 or so, after a short sightseeing side trip to New Haven.... and from there on out, traffic was brutal. Pretty much all the way down to about Exit 13 on the NJ Turnpike. Absolutely nuts.  The only break was when we bailed onto the Palisades Parkway off 287. That was a quiet, and scenic, trip down to the GW Bridge area. Hadn't been on the Palisades for years!!!

Edited by Fran Haring

8 minutes ago, HBD said:

Oh, And Louie's is THE PLACE for burgers! 

We loved it when we stopped in a few years back. The quintessential American burger joint!!!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep. Listening center in a dome sucks BAD. I'm sure Jeff would agree. I have zero horn experience but battery in a dome is the devil.

Man... I can only imagine what drummers have to deal with in such a setting.

Once we figured out the "horns over the wall" thing, things got easier for the horn line.  And again, no "sound bouncing off the roof" problems at Giants Stadium. Just that #### wall and the general "echo ambience."  :laughing:

Worked several shows there as a PA announcer... and the audio delay was wicked. Every bit of a full one to two seconds before what I spoke into the microphone came out over the speakers. I needed to use either an ear plug, or the time-tested "finger in one ear" method....LOL... so I could focus on my inner ear rather than the PA audio.

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm not big on raw onions, unless they're diced on a good chili dog. 

I'll take the steamed or grilled onions any day!

BTW, had a killer dog last Monday at Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield.  The Dixie Dog...  chili and cole slaw. Outstanding.

We were on our way back from the Providence area  to visit Brenda's sons. Super Duper was our backup lunch plan, since Louis Lunch is closed on Mondays.  LOL.

Yes! Super Duper Weenie is awesome! Been going since all Gary had was one truck. And the fries 😊😋😁👍!!!!

• Like 1

From the DCA website... Govenaires scored a 69.15 at their "Drum Corps Expo" show in MN.

I'm assuming this was a DCA panel. (No recap posted yet.)

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

OK... back to the food and drink discussion...LOL...

Last Sunday night Brenda and I found a nice pub... the Shannon View Inn... across the street from our hotel at the Providence airport.

Great fish tacos, made with haddock. Also a terrific craft-brew lineup... and since we were walking, we indulged a bit.  :tongue:  Certainly would not mind stopping in again someday!

Whoa! Cabs just threw the F down!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Whoa! Cabs just threw the F down!!!!!

That is good to know!  Cool show show this year.

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That is good to know!  Cool show show this year.

Thank you! They obviously love performing it 😊