Kingston, NY -Saturday, August 3

2 hours ago, BigW said:

The show results are interesting, the tie between White Sabres and Bush, and Fusion in the same rough neighborhood. have your top 3, though it might be a 1, 2-3, then a 4-8 chunk, then 9 then 10 from the looks of it. 

That 4-8 cluster looks interesting, each seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.

I would think CV will hit at least an 80 at their home show. That will shift things around a bit. 

4 hours ago, BigW said:

The show results are interesting, the tie between White Sabres and Bush, and Fusion in the same rough neighborhood. have your top 3, though it might be a 1, 2-3, then a 4-8 chunk, then 9 then 10 from the looks of it. 

That 4-8 cluster looks interesting, each seem to have their strengths and weaknesses.

with a month to go....a lot can happen. while no show is booked this weekend, i am sure a lot of corps are rehearsing. Hopefully all the holes are plugged or in attendance, and serious deep cleaning and conceptual fleshing out happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would think CV will hit at least an 80 at their home show. That will shift things around a bit. 

I'm gonna guess their score will be well above 80.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 3:57 PM, Fran Haring said:

Heh... when I had DCA gigs, pretty much every year someone would ask me, "So... are you working Kingston again?"

Fact is, I have never worked that show, and haven't actually been in Kingston since 2004. And I think it was 1978 before that.  :blink:

That joins places like Bridgeport, anywhere else in Connecticut, and Lewisburg on the "shows I never worked but folks thought I was there every year" list. :tongue:

Ah the infamous 78 show....Fond memories when Ross dropped his horn -how do you that- and then picked it up which was a nono back then.  We got a penalty but won anyway.  i'm sitting here thinking maybe it wasn't 78 but 77.  Fran?  Suffering from old man disease....lol

38 minutes ago, Bucbari said:

Ah the infamous 78 show....Fond memories when Ross dropped his horn -how do you that- and then picked it up which was a nono back then.  We got a penalty but won anyway.  i'm sitting here thinking maybe it wasn't 78 but 77.  Fran?  Suffering from old man disease....lol

It was 1977. You're right, we still won the show.

Won it again in '78... a Sunday afternoon, and the thing I remember most was the drunken guy... who was a fan of another corps in the show, and I'll leave it at that...LOL...  standing on top of the hill yelling various epithets at us.  :tongue:

24 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

the drunken guy... who was a fan of another corps in the show, and I'll leave it at that...LOL...  standing on top of the hill yelling various epithets at us.  :tongue:

I'm guessing he wasn't yelling "whatamenuvah" or "They're always ready!" huh?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm gonna guess their score will be well above 80.

I would hope so, but I never try to outguess judges. The battery at Atlanta was pretty dirty by comparison to Atlanta last year. I don't know if they were adding stuff or the dome effected them or what. The new Mapex drums sound great but they certainly don't hide dirt well. 

On 8/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, Fran Haring said:

Heh... when I had DCA gigs, pretty much every year someone would ask me, "So... are you working Kingston again?"

Fact is, I have never worked that show, and haven't actually been in Kingston since 2004. And I think it was 1978 before that.  :blink:

That joins places like Bridgeport, anywhere else in Connecticut, and Lewisburg on the "shows I never worked but folks thought I was there every year" list. :tongue:

and 2004 was the only time i have ever been there.

wait you never worked Lewisburg? LOL 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and 2004 was the only time i have ever been there.

wait you never worked Lewisburg? LOL 

I went in '04 to catch up with a Sun alum friend, see the DCA show, and because my brother-in-law with Cabs Alumni needed a ride home.  LOL.

Any PA town with "Lewis" in it... nope, haven't worked a show there.  :tongue:

Heh... a few times, people would ask me if I was "working the Harrisburg indoor show again."  I told those folks I must do a pretty good Larry Hershman impersonation, because he emceed that show every year!!!

19 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm guessing he wasn't yelling "whatamenuvah" or "They're always ready!" huh?

Several modified four-letter versions of those!!! :laughing:

The dude was pretty much falling-down drunk. We got a good laugh out of it.

Edited by Fran Haring